Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Just another "me too".

I have had the same issue forever, many different versions of BC, many different computers. I would say it happens about 80% of the time. When I do get the error message, I'm guessing about 50% of the time it will succeed after a couple of tries. And the other 50% of the time I give up after 10-20 retries...

I use Far Manager (http://www.farmanager.com/), again many different versions. I start BC from the command-line, usually through a batch file (bc.bat) with the following content:

Code:
    @echo off
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe" %*
    Maybe this helps track down the issue.

Hope you will fix this soon - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hello,

The Save method here is using a built-in Windows method to help save the file by creating a temp copy, then overwriting the original. In most cases this works without issue and is safer than the alternative, as if this is interrupted we have a full copy of the file (old or new) available. The other main method used to save a file directly writes into the original file (like how a Notepad Save works), but if this process is interrupted then this leads to a corrupt file.

We've tested with various source control solutions, and most work without issue when dealing with either save, but some users have a specific configuration where they run into issues like yours. We're working on improving this scenario.

In the meantime, there is probably another factor in your setup that is causing us to hit this hurdle. Do you have any other software running at the same time you could temporarily disable to narrow down which it might be?

Default Please take responsibility for your software issues

I am a developer like many who use your software. I love it and have used it in the past and that I am at a new job,I purchased it for myself last week because I really can't live without it. The day I got it I even recommended to the office manager that she purchase it for the office.... and then I started running into this problem.

Imagine how embarrassed I would be if after she bought it for the office everyone experience this problem.

Please realize that it doesn't matter to your customers if the method you use for saving your files is standard, or safer, etc.. It doesn't matter if the real underlying issue is antivirus or some other program holding a reference to the file in some way that it shouldn't. It only matters that we can save our changes.

I need you to either figure out how to fix this or provide a config option so that those of us experiencing the issue can choose the unsafe way that Notepad and others use to save their files.

I am using the latest version of your software. No other program I have on my computer has any issues saving files, only yours. Please take responsibility for your software issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hello,

The Save method we employ on Windows is a standard, provided function. Some programs save in-place, like Notepad. If this process is interrupted, it results in a corrupted file. Other programs, like BC3/4 or Word, save to a temp file. Only once the save is complete is a Rename used to overwrite the original file. If you are seeing this scenario where a rename is failing, it is good to test to see if you are able to manually Delete the original file, then Rename a .temp file in the same folder to the original file's name in the same test location. You will also want to test saving a .txt file on your user's Desktop/ using BC3/4, to see if this is a colliding background task (potentially antivirus) that is location dependent or independent.

If you are applying updates, I would suggest updating to the latest BC3.x release (3.3.12), to have all the potential bug fixes and enhancements it provides. All 3.x updates are free for 3.x users.

BC 4.1's beta implements the unsafe method as a fallback if the first method fails. Because it is a beta, I do not recommend it for day to day work or data that is not already backed up, but we would appreciate your help testing this new feature:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=beta41

I would like to stress that the save method we're using is using built-in Windows API; it really should work unless there's a program on your machine that's blocking this native OS support, so you may hit other issues with other software down the road.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

As a side note, I have found an easy work around to this problem. clicking on the folder/open-file-icon (in the beyond compare header next to the file path you are trying to save) and the closing the dialog always seems to resolve the issue. Opening that folder path in windows explorer also fixes the issue, though that is less convenient.