X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WindowsStar
    Enthusiast
    • Jul 2013

Feature Request

The main reason I assume this software was created was to compare folders and contents and this software is one of the best at doing that. One thing I found that is missing and I seem to need all the time, is the ability to compare NTFS security permissions (Folder and File Permissions).

Many times I have done a tricky software install on one machine and then 8 months later install it on another machine and I cannot remember which folder permissions or file permissions I changed to make it work correctly. It is tedious to check a bunch of folders and files for permissions.

The request is to have Beyond Compare have the option to compare folder and file permissions.

Thanks!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. Comparing NTFS security descriptors is on our Customer Wishlist, but is not a currently supported feature.

As a workaround, I recommend using the command line to generate a report of the current permissions of a folder:
    icacls c:\folder1 /T > c:\folder1perms.txt

Then repeat this for folder2, at which point you can compare these two reports in the Text Compare to find differences in the permissions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• WindowsStar
      Enthusiast
      • Jul 2013

Thanks Aaron,

I have used icacls then used BC to look at the results for a compare. difficult to look at if there are a lot of directories and a lot of permissions. It would be nice to see them in the GUI of BC just like the folders, making it real simple to find the missing permission etc.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Working...