Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aquinas
    Journeyman
    • Feb 2006

Enhancement request - Failed to Delete - specify the name of culpable process

Attempted to delete a folder and got the following error:

11/14/2013 4:22:17 PM Unable to delete c:\tomcat-7.0.42\webapps\myWebapp\WEB-INF\classes: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

I could not figure out which of my very few open applications might have had the folder/file open that caused the error. Tried using SysInternal's Process Explorer to search for the offending application but didn't find anything (target search "classes" found lots of hits, but not the folder path above). I admit I do not use Process Explorer very often for this, so it could easily have been a mistake on my part.

Sometime later, 5 - 10 minutes, I tried again to delete the folder - it worked! So some process evidently cleaned out their cache?

So here's my enhancement request: could BC display the name of process preventing my delete action? I know its may be a bit beyond the scope of the tool, but it would be oh so useful in certain situations.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.

BC3 is handling the error message we are passed back, which does not contain any information on the process that has the hold. Implementing the same functionality as Process Explorer would be a bit outside our scope in order to improve the error message. It can be a little frustrating to see a generic error message; when I encounter it, I usually immediately boot Process Explorer (without closing or altering anything) to track down the current process. If Windows ever passes back this information, then we would also pass this information on as well.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• aquinas
      Journeyman
      • Feb 2006

So I'm curious if the Linux version would provide better information for this scenario?

Comment

• chrroe
        Pooh-Bah
        • Oct 2007

Hi aquinas,

have you ever seen a messsage similar to "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" under Linux?

If yes, from which program / application?

I never saw a corresponding message in the past few years where I deal with Linux administration at work every day ...

Bye
        Christoph

PS: Linux usually provides the command "lsof" to get a list of opened files.

Comment

• aquinas
          Journeyman
          • Feb 2006

My Linux experience is limited

I am at this point only a casual user of Linux. I am not impressed with the meagerness of Window's error reporting. My question about Linux error reporting was to gain a sense of how it compared. My default assumption is that it would be better (I don't see how it could be worse given the low bar set by Windows).

Comment

Working...