• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GavinBaumanis
    Visitor
    • Aug 2013

Quick tests Vs Compare Contents

Hi there,

Obviously, I am using the Mac client and compare files on a Windows Server.

Using the Quick Tests option I get a lot of false differences in the initial scan.
    If I open the files to preview / compare - I get told the files are BINARY SAME and the icon alters to the "approximately" equals sign but the contents are the same.

I "assume" it is a line endings difference?

Interestingy - when doing a Contents compare of the same folders / servers - I get no such false positive the files are correctly marked as being equal.

-Gavin.
  • GavinBaumanis
    Visitor
    • Aug 2013

Hi Everyone....
    Looks like I should have read my unread messages first!

This thread;
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...ad.php?t=12499

from last week seems to be the same thing I am reporting here.

-Gavin.

Comment

• Zoë
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

To follow up on my post in the other thread, the "Quick tests" options only look for differences in the file sizes and last modified times. If the dates on them are different it will show up as a difference even if the size and content are identical. To detect those cases you need to turn on the "Compare contents" option. If most of your files do have matching sizes and last modified times you can use the "Skip if quick tests indicate files are the same" option to make it only perform content compares on ones that have different sizes/dates. That can substantially speed up the comparison time.
      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...