X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shovavnik
    Enthusiast
    • Apr 2011

Folder compare showing ignored differences

I ran a folder compare between a local folder and an FTP folder.

The Rules > Comparison tab has the following settings:
    • Compare file size UNCHECKED
    • Compare filename case UNCHECKED
    • Compare timestamps UNCHECKED
    • Align filenames... CHECKED
    • Compare contents: Rules-based comparison CHECKED
    • Override quick test results CHECKED
    • Skip if quick tests... UNCHECKED

Despite these settings, files that should be identified as "same" are actually identified as "different". If I open any file in the result list, and then close it, BC immediately identifies it as "same" by changing its color from red to black.

Note that some of the files have different file sizes and others do not. But in both cases, opening the file shows no differences in the file. And since I disabled the quick tests, I expect the file size difference to be ignored.

Also, most files are being compared correctly. I think that only about 200 files or so out of several thousand are showing differences.

Am I misunderstanding these settings? Shouldn't these files have already been identified as "same" by these settings to begin with? Is there another setting that I'm missing?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Given the description, running a Rules-based scan should run the same results as double clicking and viewing the file then going back to the main view.

Could we get a few screenshots of the view before clicking the file, then once inside the file, and lastly back in the main view? This might help us find a difference in configuration that would cause this.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• edgy
      Journeyman
      • Jul 2013

In the past I've seen the same behaviour on the Windows version, but I don't have an example on hand to test it again.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

On Windows, this most commonly happens if the default Session Settings are in place (Timestamp/Size), and then you view the files in a child File Session. We have a KB article that details the behavior here:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...ferentthensame
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• edgy
          Journeyman
          • Jul 2013

Timestamp and size are not options I normally use when comparing folders, and override is always checked. It's not an issue that has ever concerned me.

Comment

• shovavnik
            Enthusiast
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Aaron
            Could we get a few screenshots of the view before clicking the file, then once inside the file, and lastly back in the main view?
            Here you go. I also added a screenshot of the Folder Rules dialog, just in case. Note that I set the settings as the session default settings.

It's pretty easy to reproduce, so if you need anything else, let me know.

The Rules

Before Clicking the File

Inside the File

Back in the Main View

Comment

• shovavnik
              Enthusiast
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Aaron
              Hello,

On Windows, this most commonly happens if the default Session Settings are in place (Timestamp/Size), and then you view the files in a child File Session. We have a KB article that details the behavior here:
              http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...ferentthensame
              I just read that article and I'm pretty sure the scenario here is a bit different.

Just to make sure, I changed the default session settings. I think that rules out the scenario in the article. If not, let me know how to confirm it or rule it out.

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

The 0111 next to the not equal indicates files are not equal based on binary comparison, not rules-based comparison.

For some reason it looks like your files are running a background binary comparison and showing a difference, probably due to line terminators. When you double click to view them, it is running a rules-based comparison, ignoring the line terminator differences for a match result.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• shovavnik
                  Enthusiast
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Chris
                  For some reason it looks like your files are running a background binary comparison and showing a difference...
                  So am I doing something wrong? Should I be using different settings?

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you go to the Importance tab, enable every checkbox, then re-check your file. Do any new differences appear?

The reason you are seeing the binary compare results is that we run a Binary scan first for any Rules-based scan. If the files are Binary not equal, then we run the Rules-based scan. This doesn't seem to be happening for you, and we'll try to figure out why. Knowing what is actually different in your files might help narrow this down.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• GavinBaumanis
                      Visitor
                      • Aug 2013

Hi there,
                      I am seeing the same issue.
                      And have initially guessed that the issue is line endings related as I do all my work on a Mac, but all of our code is deployed to a Windows Server.

MacBook Pro (8 GB RAM)
                      OSX 10.8.4
                      Java version "1.7.0_25"
                      Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b15)
                      Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)

BC4 Build : 16821

Local files : SVN Controlled files (SVN 1.8.4)
                      Remote files : Windows Server 2008 (via FTP)

Please let me know if you need anything else from me.

-Gavin.

Comment

• Zoë
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Hi Gavin,

Sorry for the long delay getting back to you; we developed a bit of backlog during the beta and some forum posts slipped through.

First, make sure you're comparing file contents automatically. Open the Session->Session Settings... dialog and, on the "Comparison" tab, check the "Compare contents:" checkbox and and "Rules-based comparison" radio button.

Rules-based comparisons are equivalent to opening the file in the file viewer, so it will handle things like line differences that the binary compare will treat as differences.

If that doesn't help, also note that the file compare and folder compare have separate "Ignore unimportant differences" toggles, so you'll need to turn them on in both places if you want to ignore changes unimportant differences in both.

If that doesn't help, any additional information you can provide about your comparison settings or the types of differences that aren't being ignored would be helpful.
                        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...