Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Folder compare showing ignored differences

I ran a folder compare between a local folder and an FTP folder.

The Rules > Comparison tab has the following settings:
    • Compare file size UNCHECKED
    • Compare filename case UNCHECKED
    • Compare timestamps UNCHECKED
    • Align filenames... CHECKED
    • Compare contents: Rules-based comparison CHECKED
    • Override quick test results CHECKED
    • Skip if quick tests... UNCHECKED

Despite these settings, files that should be identified as "same" are actually identified as "different". If I open any file in the result list, and then close it, BC immediately identifies it as "same" by changing its color from red to black.

Note that some of the files have different file sizes and others do not. But in both cases, opening the file shows no differences in the file. And since I disabled the quick tests, I expect the file size difference to be ignored.

Also, most files are being compared correctly. I think that only about 200 files or so out of several thousand are showing differences.

Am I misunderstanding these settings? Shouldn't these files have already been identified as "same" by these settings to begin with? Is there another setting that I'm missing?

Hello,

Given the description, running a Rules-based scan should run the same results as double clicking and viewing the file then going back to the main view.

Could we get a few screenshots of the view before clicking the file, then once inside the file, and lastly back in the main view? This might help us find a difference in configuration that would cause this.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

In the past I've seen the same behaviour on the Windows version, but I don't have an example on hand to test it again.

Hello,

On Windows, this most commonly happens if the default Session Settings are in place (Timestamp/Size), and then you view the files in a child File Session. We have a KB article that details the behavior here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...ferentthensame
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Timestamp and size are not options I normally use when comparing folders, and override is always checked. It's not an issue that has ever concerned me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Could we get a few screenshots of the view before clicking the file, then once inside the file, and lastly back in the main view?
    Here you go. I also added a screenshot of the Folder Rules dialog, just in case. Note that I set the settings as the session default settings.

It's pretty easy to reproduce, so if you need anything else, let me know.

The Rules

Before Clicking the File

Inside the File

Back in the Main View

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hello,

On Windows, this most commonly happens if the default Session Settings are in place (Timestamp/Size), and then you view the files in a child File Session. We have a KB article that details the behavior here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...ferentthensame
    I just read that article and I'm pretty sure the scenario here is a bit different.

Just to make sure, I changed the default session settings. I think that rules out the scenario in the article. If not, let me know how to confirm it or rule it out.

The 0111 next to the not equal indicates files are not equal based on binary comparison, not rules-based comparison.

For some reason it looks like your files are running a background binary comparison and showing a difference, probably due to line terminators. When you double click to view them, it is running a rules-based comparison, ignoring the line terminator differences for a match result.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    For some reason it looks like your files are running a background binary comparison and showing a difference...
    So am I doing something wrong? Should I be using different settings?

Hello,

If you go to the Importance tab, enable every checkbox, then re-check your file. Do any new differences appear?

The reason you are seeing the binary compare results is that we run a Binary scan first for any Rules-based scan. If the files are Binary not equal, then we run the Rules-based scan. This doesn't seem to be happening for you, and we'll try to figure out why. Knowing what is actually different in your files might help narrow this down.
    Aaron P Scooter Software