X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rothkj1022
    Fanatic
    • Apr 2008

File Permissions Copy

I encountered a situation where I was doing a compare of website files from my local file system to an ftp site. I had local file permissions of 600 for most of my files and when I copied them up to the FTP server the permissions were kept in tact. I did not expect this, as the Windows version does not behave this way.

I think I like this feature, that the permissions get copied over with the files. However, I did not see a way to turn it off in the FTP profile settings. Is there such a way, and if not, can a setting be added?

Thanks!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report. The default behavior is to attempt to preserve the attribute, and only fall back to letting the destination decide if we are unable to. We'll look into if we can make this an option.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• glospete
      Journeyman
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by rothkj1022
      I encountered a situation where I was doing a compare of website files from my local file system to an ftp site. I had local file permissions of 600 for most of my files and when I copied them up to the FTP server the permissions were kept in tact. I did not expect this, as the Windows version does not behave this way.

I think I like this feature, that the permissions get copied over with the files. However, I did not see a way to turn it off in the FTP profile settings. Is there such a way, and if not, can a setting be added?

Thanks!
      Yes this also surprised me - but excellent feature. However it would be preferable to allow or not as an option.

Comment

• edgy
        Journeyman
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Aaron
        Thanks for the report. The default behavior is to attempt to preserve the attribute, and only fall back to letting the destination decide if we are unable to. We'll look into if we can make this an option.
        Does this include ACL information?

Comment

• Zoë
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by edgy
          Does this include ACL information?
          No, it's only preserving the Unix mode setting, and only on FTP servers that support the "SITE CHMOD" command (or local->local). This is actually the first I've heard of OS X's extended ACLs, so BC doesn't do anything with them at all, even when doing local->local copies.

We'll look into using NSFileManager for copies in the future, but I don't expect it to get into the v1 release. For now all of the low-level file operations are based on the same Posix backend that our Linux implementation uses.
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• rothkj1022
            Fanatic
            • Apr 2008

Default Behaviour

The more I use BC4 the more frustrated I get that the default behaviour is not like all other FTP applications I've used, which is to let the destination server determine the file and folder attributes on upload.

My local default apparently is 700 and every time I modify a file and upload it, I cannot access the file when browsing to it.

I'd like to request the default on this be changed and the option to preserve the file attributes be the feature that gets added at a later time.

Thanks!

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback. We'll look into adding this option.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

It's taken a while, but the next beta release will have this settable as an option in the FTP profile, on the "Transfer" tab. I've left the default on because it's always worked that way in Linux and because the OS X command line SFTP client, at least, copies permissions by default too.
                Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• rothkj1022
                  Fanatic
                  • Apr 2008

Thank you! That will help my team immensely. We've been having to chmod after every upload to our web server, and it's an extra step we're looking forward to not having to worry about.

Comment

• rothkj1022
                    Fanatic
                    • Apr 2008

Thank You!

I see that the feature was added. Thanks a ton!!!

Comment

Working...