• rocket777
    Visitor
    • May 2008

3-way compare of directories, please?

I am in agreement with others in this set of threads that want to have

Code:
    left side, original baseline
    right side, my changes
    then add into the center, someone else's changes, (or newest baseline)

But I'm interested in a 3 way directory merge as well.

My typical work flow is to begin with a zipfile of some open source project and begin making my own changes. I then use BC2 to keep track of what files I've changed and what I changed in them. This is straight forward and BC2 (or 3) meets this purpose perfectly.

After some time and changes I then have:

Code:
    zipfile original baseline   ]  - left side
    My-folder tree              ]  - right side
    Also now or in due time, there's an update to this baseline by others that becomes the new official baseline. I want to merge those other changes into my-folder tree so I am now up to date with the latest release, plus have my changes.

So I want:

Code:
    zipfile baseline ]  - left side
    [COLOR="green"]new baseline     ]  - center[/COLOR]
    My-folder tree   ]  - right side

Now, where some files have changed, and where they are not any files that I was working on, it seems to be pretty straightforward to take these new files and simply copy them over top of my files.

This I can do easily in BC2 (or 3).

I realize there can be problems with this, say with changes in the calling sequences to something that I've been using, but I don't expect a file comparison program to detect that sort of conflict.

However, when both my folder and the new baseline each have changes to the same file, then I want BC3 to automatically load up the 3rd file from the new baseline when I click on the compare button.

My preference would be to load in the center, but I realize that you've stated here that BC3's approach is to have the original baseline be the center. It would seem that a simple option setting could allow one to have the right and center (or left and center) meanings be reversed.

Anyway, if that were possible, then I think I would be able to use BC3 for my purposes. If this is not something BC3 can do now, please consider this use as a possible future enhancement. I think there are a lot of folks that operate this way.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC3 does not currently support a Folder Merge (3-way), and does not support customizing which panel should be the ancestor in the 3-way Text Merge (always Center), but we'll consider these ideas on our wishlist.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...