X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dvojir
    New User
    • Oct 2013

BC Mac command line issues

I am *most* interested in using beyond compare on the command line. My first attempt to use it this way certainly did not work:

open -a "/Applications/Beyond Compare.app" --args file1 file2

does get it to open, but it shows the files as: /file1 and /file2 (respectively) and a File Not Found error in both panes. This is definitely a bug

This would definitely be my preferred way of invoking bc via the command...

I've had more success thusly:

/Applications/Beyond\ Compare.app/Contents/MacOS/BCompare file1 file2 &

Some issues with this:
    1. App starts as bottom-most window (i have to shift-cmd-tab to get to it)
    2. There's a spew of messages into the command shell:
    TCarbonWidgetSet.DCSetAntialiasing Error - invalid DC = 0!
    TControlCanvas.CreateHandle WARNING: accessing the canvas of :TUiEditorWindow is not supported outside of paint message

/Applications/Beyond\ Compare.app/Contents/MacOS/BCompare file1 file2 & >/dev/null 2>&1 still has output in the shell, and:

/Applications/Beyond\ Compare.app/Contents/MacOS/BCompare file1 file2 >/dev/null 2>&1 does suppress shell output but now the shell is on hold while bc is in use...

As I said, the open -a... method would be my preference if possible. My intention is to wire git to use beyond compare as the difftool.

Thanks!
  • dvojir
    New User
    • Oct 2013

I should further note that the app seems quite unstable when invoked directly via the BCompare executable. I've had it freeze on me 3 or 4 times while checking this all out...

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you launch the interface once, the Beyond Compare menu -> Install Commandline Tools option will install a 'BCompare' and 'BComp' to use on the command line, instead of using the .app folder.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...