X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rothkj1022
    Fanatic
    • Apr 2008

"Select left folder for compare" in Finder broken

From a finder window when I select Services -> "Select Folder For Compare" on a folder in my Finder window, it stops responding for a minute or two, then becomes responsive again. Then, when I select Services -> "Compare Folders" on a second folder, nothing happens at all.

I am running OS X 10.8.5 and BC4b 16750.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Does this reproduce for you after a reboot? I have the same OSX version, but do not see the same hang.

When you select Left folder for compare, this would trigger and launch BC4 (it'll bounce in the taskbar). Is it the launch of the application that seems to hang?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rothkj1022
      Fanatic
      • Apr 2008

You are right. Today when I tried (booted fresh this morning), both with BC4 already running and without it running, I did not encounter the issue.

Comment

• rothkj1022
        Fanatic
        • Apr 2008

One more oddity to note:

When I first attempted to compare two folders this morning through right-clicking the finder options, both BC4 Mac opened (with the proper comparison folders), but also so did BC3 Windows, through Parallels (with no comparison folders). This only happened once though, and I have not been able to reproduce it again. I also do not recall whether it was the first finder action or the second that triggered it.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report. Since both programs reference "BCompare", it is possible that Parallels has something setup in the path to intercept and launch the windows application. Are you aware of such a setting? If this happens again, please let us know.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• renatocoral
            Visitor
            • Sep 2013

I've been using this latest build along with the windows version and would suggest a more intuitive Finder integration. It could be similar to Dropbox that adds it's own section on the left click menu and also shows the app icon, and it's not hidden in the Services Menu. Also, after selecting the left folder to compare, the item "Compare Folder" could show the name of the previously selected folder like it happens in Windows. Compare to "name of the previously selected folder"

Comment

• glospete
              Journeyman
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by rothkj1022
              From a finder window when I select Services -> "Select Folder For Compare" on a folder in my Finder window, it stops responding for a minute or two, then becomes responsive again. Then, when I select Services -> "Compare Folders" on a second folder, nothing happens at all.

I am running OS X 10.8.5 and BC4b 16750.
              When I right click in Finder I cannot see any BC options to select a folder. What am I not doing?

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

If you go to your Finder menu -> Services, and Manage Services (Keyboard -> Services, Keyboard shortcuts), and scroll through the list of installed services, is Select Left File for Compare, Select Left Folder for Compare, Compare Files, Compare Folders, etc, in this list and enabled?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...