Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cosmetic: Do not display OSX hidden files

First off, great app. I love being able to use BC on a mac.

Something I noticed is that the folder compare includes OSX hidden files, like .DS_Store and .localized. I think that these files shouldn't be included. I don't see an scenario when somebody would need to compare them. But I could be mistaken. Other option is to provide a preference to show or hide them.

[I did a search on the forums for this topic, but I didn't find one. If somebody did, my apologies.]

I think that we need a toggle for them, not ignore them completely. Hidden files can also be config files, not junk resources like .DS_Store.

Agree, some system files should be subject to comparison while others should not.

I noticed some backup files produced from within XCode are placed in the same directory as original file but prefixed with "._" e.g. AppDelegate.m and ._AppDelegate as its alter ego.

I would love to see some toggle that hides system files instead entering this pattern in Exclude Files list.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we already have this feature under Session -> Session Settings... -> Name Filters. You can exclude any files or folders you wish. Then, you can show/hide with the Suppress Filters feature/button. I personally like being able to see ALL files. It's useful for cleanup when packaging/exporting/copying/comparing cross platform.

I'd rather my comparison tool not decide for me what hidden/system files should or should not be subject to comparison.

Yes, the files Unix traditionally considers hidden are those that start with ., and a filenames filter of -.* will exclude all of them already. On Windows we did introduce an option, "Ignore protected operating system files", which excludes any files or folders that have both the hidden and system attributes set. It's toggleable, and Suppress Filters does work with it, but it's also on by default to match Explorer's behavior. We could do something similar on Mac. I think there's one other way to make files hidden in Finder using one of the extended attributes, and we don't currently heave a way to exclude those, other than by name.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Default Syntax

I am not a software expert.
    Could someone please inform the syntax in a filter for hidden files?
    Many thanks.

Hello,

In BC4, you can right-click a file (or multiple files) and select Exclude. This will auto-generate the syntax needed in the File Name Filters tab of the Session Settings. It is also displayed in the Filters toolbar.

What would be your overall task? If you just need to exclude a few files, I would recommend using the right-click menu instead of typing File Name Filters.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

I've been trying to exclude files called Icon (not sure what they are all about) but BC seems insistent on showing them

I guess they just demand they be part of the group.

In all seriousness, however, could we get a full screen screenshot of the comparison showing these files? There are a few factors that might cause them to appear, such as if Suppress Filters is enabled, or if the syntax of the exclude filter isn't exact. Did you right click the Icon file and select Exclude, or did you type into the Filters toolbar, or the Session Settings' Name Filters, Exclude section?
    Aaron P Scooter Software