• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MartinWalke
    New User
    • Aug 2013

BC2 ignoring line endings

Hi,

I'm trying to get BC2 to ignore the line endings as described (everywhere). All the help seems to say that you need to use the Hex editor to determine this.

However, I'm trying to compare a list of folders (and sub-folders) of PHP files that have been CVS'd. I've added a rules to ignore comments and CVS keywords but BC keeps telling me the files are different even though the only difference is the line endings (Windows vs. Linux). How do I get BC2 to ignore the line endings *and* in a text viewer that is using a predefined rule, given that I have unticked the 'Line endings' checkbox on the General tab?

TIA
    Martin
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello Martin,

As long as the line ending character is in the same location, BC2 can be configured to have Line Endings be unimportant. If text is split between two lines, then this would always be an important difference.

The later is where the Hex Viewer might be useful, but it sounds more like your scenario is the former.

When you open your files in the file viewer, does BC2 already show them as equal (with only unimportant differences) or is a difference detected? The first step is to define the File Viewer to show them as equal, and then we can set the Directory Viewer to run a Rules-based scan to show the same results.

If you are having trouble configuring the file viewer, please email us at [email protected] with a pair of sample files and your BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support dialog, and a link back to this forum thread for our reference.

In the Directory Viewer, use the Session menu -> Comparison Control, and enable a Compare Contents: Rules-based to use the default File Viewer results in the main view.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• geobehr
      New User
      • Nov 2013

Scooter, having a similar problem with BC3. Doing a folder compare, and all files show as different but most are actually the same. Left side is a Windows, right is Linux.

I've gone through all menu options trying to find 'Unimportant', 'line endings' and have failed to find it. Help!

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

In Beyond Compare 3, select "Session > Session Settings". Go to the Comparison tab. Check "Compare Contents" and select "Rules-based comparison".

Rules-based comparison uses the same comparison method as double clicking to view a pair of files.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

You're probably running into the issue described in this KB article:
          http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...ferentthensame
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...