X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jedispork
    New User
    • Aug 2013

Trouble installing on xubuntu 12.04

I'm running xububuntu 12.04. BC from the software center seems to work fine however when I try to update I have issues.

Unpacking bcompare (from .../spork/Desktop/BC3Update.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /home/spork/Desktop/BC3Update.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite '/usr/share/applications/bcompare.desktop', which is also in package bcompare-bin:i386 3.3.7-0ubuntu1
    dpkg-deb (subprocess): data:: Broken pipe
    dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
    dpkg-deb (subprocess): failed in write on buffer copy for failed to write to pipe in copy: Broken pipe
    Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /home/spork/Desktop/BC3Update.deb

I have also tried using the 64 and 32 bit packages from this site and neither works. I also tried uninstalling the version from the software center and for some reason its still on the system in the start menu.

thanks
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Are you running the update from the software center, or from a download from our website?

Once you install from the software center, you would need to continue to get updates from the software center. If you download from our download page, then you can get downloads from within the application or from our download page.

Uninstalling the program should work; did you also install using the internal patch tool or from our webpage? It's possible you ended up with two installations of BC3 on your system at the same time.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jedispork
      New User
      • Aug 2013

IIRC I first tried to unininstall from the software center, then I tried the 64 bit package from the website. I'm not sure if it matters but I was still using the trial mode at this point. I was able to remove with synaptic package manager and now the updated package from your website works so I'm happy!

I'm still learning my way around linux but I can see this becoming one of my staple programs for doing backups and bought the dual platform option. The mirror feature is great because I don't have to try and reorganize multiple backups manually or re-copy all of the contents again. I've been looking for something like this for quite a while. I also plan to make parity sets for some of my completed directories.

I still need to read the manual but I wanted to ask when your mirroring backups and such does it automatically do compariosns to make sure the files copied are the same?

Once ubuntu moves to mir will it still be supported?

thanks!

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

I glad you were able to get it working.
        The Sync Mirror logic will copy any 'not equal' files from the source to the destination. This includes Newer, Older, Different, or Orphan. It will also delete any Orphan files in the destination. By the end of the operation, the destination will be exactly the same as the source, given the currently configured comparison criteria. As the Compare or Sync session loads, files are compared and given each status; this is how the sync then knows which to mirror. You can use the Folder Compare's View menu -> Legend to see the different coloring used to represent files that are still being scanned, and those that have been given a specific status.

If using the Folder Sync session, the button initially says 'Auto-Sync', in order to initiate after the compare completes. Once complete, the button changes to 'Sync now'.

BC3 currently requires X-Windows. We'll look into mir support, but it is something we would need more information on. It's likely X-Windows, or some form of provided backwards compatibility, will be required at least on the short-term.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...