"Device not ready" error - which device?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timg11
    Expert
    • Apr 2010

"Device not ready" error - which device?

I'm using BC 3 (latest version) to copy drive-to-drive. The source is over a network from a server. The destination is a local drive on a USB SATA connection.

Out of several thousand files copied, I have about 6 errors of the form "<Timestamp> unable to copy <sourcepath\filename> The device is not ready."

How can I determine what is really happening? Which device is not ready - source or destination? If a drive has really gone off-line, why does BC pick up and continue copying with the next file without problems?

It seems more likely that the USB SATA drive would have a problem than the server drive, but I'm not sure. Maybe a server drive is ready to fail? Is there any more detailed logging that can be enabled?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. Many of BC3 error messages are directly passed back to us by the OS, but it is on our wishlist to help improve them. If you retry the transfer, does the file pair then copy over? If you copy the file name into the file name filters, you should be able to narrow down the view to only the failed files.

The error is specific for the failed file, similar to an Access Denied or other status, and not the entire transfer. BC3's copy command will attempt to copy the next file after one fails with an error back from the OS. If for some reason the device has recovered, then the file transfer would continue.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• timg11
      Expert
      • Apr 2010

Thanks for the reply. I can see exactly which files failed as they are logged at the bottom of the screen. The issue I'm having is understanding which device was reported as not ready - the source or destination?
      I.E. did the error occur when BC was reading or writing?

I notice that the source path is listed in the error message. If the destination drive was the one not ready, would the error message change to show the destination path? Or does it always show the source path?

The copy does succeed when I re-run the sync. I received 6 errors like this on several thousand files. When they were done, I did a sync again, and those files copied just fine.

I'm copying files to a new drive. I would really like to understand if the problem is with the new drive or the old drive. (If the new drive has a problem I want to return it rather than put it into the server)
      Last edited by timg11; 08-Aug-2013, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

The error message for the copy wouldn't change, depending on if the copy command had trouble with the source or destination. It's generated after everything has been passed on to the copy method we're using; on Windows, it is the same basic copy method as Windows Explorer.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrroe
          Pooh-Bah
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

maybe a closer look in the eventlog of source and destination PC/server could help to clarify the problems?

Bye
          Christoph

Comment

Working...