Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

This bug should be fixed in Beyond Compare 4.1 beta.

Beta download page: http://www.scootersoftware.com/beta
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• sully9
      Journeyman
      • Jun 2014

Hi Chris,

Great to hear. I've downloaded the beta but so far I've not had a chance to try alongside the standard release on my main system (where this problem seem to occur much less.) I may need to go back to and reinstall on my older system where it used to happen much more readily. Or really sandbag my main system to try to stack the deck.

But again, thanks for taking a swing at it for us.

-Greg

Comment

• sully9
        Journeyman
        • Jun 2014

Hi All,

This build definitely improves handling of ZIP files. I do see that that fixes a number of similar errors that I would lump in with the "invalid size or checksum of file" error. That's awesome!

Because of the system requirements for the BC4.1 Beta, I can't test this in the main environment where I used to very frequently see the invalid checksum error. So I'm still trying to exercise that part of the fix...

-Greg

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback. Once 4.1 is fully released would you be able to upgrade? So far, the beta is going fairly smoothly.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• sully9
            Journeyman
            • Jun 2014

Hi Aaron,

Looking forward to BC4.1!

The system where I see the worst problem is a XP SP2 VM running a legacy dev environment that unfortunately (for reasons I won't clutter this forum with) is frozen at that level. (At least it's an offline environment, isolated from the net!) So with the SP3 requirement, I'm not sure I'll be able to make the upgrade there.

Curious, as I type that, I realize that SP3 was a requirement for BC4, wasn't it? While "not supported" is it possible that a portable install is more forgiving there? I'm now wondering how I got it there in the first place.

Greg

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

BC 4.0.0 allowed installs on unsupported OS's, but we found a bug where some OS's (like 2000) would then not allow an uninstall, and in 2000's case wouldn't boot. 4.0.1's installer now prevents installs to older OS's to prevent this from happening in the future.

A Portable Install is a workaround, as it can be copied to your frozen machine and, if it needs to be uninstalled, you can delete the single-directory install. It isn't supported, but might work for you.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• sully9
                Journeyman
                • Jun 2014

Not sure you required further verification but I have had the opportunity to test more closely to the original issue. In both cases I agree the "Invalid size or checksum of file" and various similar errors are addressed in the 4.1 Beta.

1) Using the portable install method discussed above to run on the "frozen pre-SP2 XP" system, when the previous version fails to sync into a zip folder, BC4.1 Beta succeeds.

2) Running v4.0.7, I've similarly been able to more readily create the failure on my main system (Win 7) where I previously saw this type of error only rarely. Running v4.1 Beta, the error does not occur.

Great work and thanks for the support!

-Greg

Comment

• rubs
                  Enthusiast
                  • Jan 2005

This very same error started to re-appear recently with zipped files in the two latest versions (confirmed in 4.3.0.24364 and 4.3.1.24438). Check it out below. I can't update the items in gray.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BCompare_2019-10-28_09-01-22.png
Views:	360
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	81791
                  Any workarounds?

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Hello,

We have a fix to some OneDrive issues coming in BC 4.3.2, which should be available soon after a bit more QA.

Once available, could you re-test and let us know if you still have any issues?
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...