Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question "Invalid size or check sum of file" error in zip file

I created an empty zip file using Windows Explorer (Win 7 Pro). Then I compared it to a folder using BeyondCompare. I copied some files and folders into the zip file. Then I started to get "Invalid size or check sum of file" errors after copying some files. The comparison rule was set to Binary comparison. Most of the files compared OK (binary identical) when first copied, but many of them later became grayed out and showed the error "Invalid size or check sum of file". What's happening? I just updated to the latest version 3.3.8 and that doesn't seem to help. Please help. Thanks!

It looks like this is a bug relating to BC performing binary comparisons of zip files. If you switch to CRC comparison when using zip files, it should avoid the issue.

I repeated this bug and added it to our bug list, we'll work on a fix for an upcoming release of BC.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Question

Thanks! Switching to CRC did seem to work better now. Now in the CRC mode, what does the "=" sign with small "0" and "1"s next to it mean? Binary identical or just same CRC? Thanks!

Question

Another related issue: when I double clicked on a pair of files (now not grayed out since switched to CRC) to compare them in the default text viewer, I got the same error. I turned off CRC comparison but still got the same error.

The 01 next to the equal means CRC or binary equal. An equal with 01 next to it means rules-based identical.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Does the error still show up if you close BC, then open the session with CRC set as the comparison type right from the beginning?
    Chris K Scooter Software

Yes. I tried just closing the tab then re-opening in a new tab and I also tried quitting BC then restarting BC, both with CRC comparison set from the beginning. In both cases when I tried double clicking a pair of files to compare in the text comparator it gave the same error message "Invalid size or check sum of file".

What type of file is the file you are trying to open? Is it a plain .txt, or is it a .doc or other file type?

If you copy the each file to your desktop individually, then open only one at a time in the Text Compare or Text Edit, does it throw an error for one or both of them?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

It's plain txt file. I tried copying from withing the zip file and pasting to a folder using Windows Explorer and got a Windows error 0x80004005: Unspecified error. Now I worry the zip file is corrupted.

Hello,

That does sound like a corrupted zip if Windows Explorer cannot extract the files. I tested this out on my own machine and it seemed to work when I create an empty Zip file and then set it as a base folder and copy files into it. Are you able to reproduce this using a similar set of steps and sample files? Or was this a random, one time corruption?
    Aaron P Scooter Software