X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cstern
    Fanatic
    • Feb 2008

BUG: Can not handle international characters in FTP

I have tried to synchronize some files and folders with Danish letters against a FTP server. It fails. (this behavior is also seen with other mac apps).
    It does work, however, with BC3 on a Windows7 box.

I have made a small video to illustrate the problem.

http://www.sternberg.dk/bctest/ftp-w-int-letters.swf
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

For reference, can you give us a screenshot of Internet Explorer on Windows with the View->Encoding->More submenu open? A copy of the FTP log showing the initial login and connection would help too.

Edit: Safari has a View->Text Encoding menu that has a similar list. It would be useful to see that one too.

This isn't a bug exactly. Your FTP server and OS X are using different character encodings for filenames, so characters like Ø are stored differently and get converted to ? somewhere. Windows uses the same encoding as the server, so there's no conversion. In BC you can normally change that setting in the FTP Profiles dialog to tell it what encoding to use, but the one that you probably need (code page 865) isn't available in the dropdown because we're using a shorter list that we copied from IE. I'm curious if they have a different list in different countries.
    Last edited by Zoë; 28-Jun-2013, 10:14 AM.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• cstern
      Fanatic
      • Feb 2008

I have tried to make the screen shot but since this is a drop Down menu Alt-PrtScr "flips" the menu back and there will not be anything interesting in the screen shot. The same happens in Jing.

So I took a photograph instead - looks awful, but I guess it is readable (I also had to "squeeze" the jpg to get it small enough for attachment...)

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hmm. In that case, try opening the FTP Profiles dialog from the "Beyond Compare" menu, and on the first tab look for the "Encoding" dropdown and try changing it to "Western European (ISO)". You may need to restart BC to make the change take effect.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• cstern
          Fanatic
          • Feb 2008

no go. Same thing happens as before.

Comment

• Zoë
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

In that case, open the Preferences dialog and on the Advanced tab under "Log Panel", turn on "Debug messages", then connect to the site, upload one of the troublesome files, and then save the log (right click on the log panel) and send a copy to [email protected].
            Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• cstern
              Fanatic
              • Feb 2008

sent

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Thanks. We received the log and will look into it.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• cstern
                  Fanatic
                  • Feb 2008

I can confirm that the problem with Danish characters is fixed in the new build (16447)

However a new problem has occurred. The time stamp on the FTP server is off by 1 hours and 59 minutes after copying a file to the sever. If I copy from the FTP server to the local host (mac) the time stamp is set correct on the copy (i.e the same).

A screen shot showing the upload problem is attached.

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report. I think I've reproduced something similar.

In the future, would it be possible to get a separate forum thread for a new issue? This way, other users could find the thread if they are having the same issue.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• cstern
                      Fanatic
                      • Feb 2008

sure - will do.

Comment

• Zoë
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

This will be fixed in the next release. If you can you should upgrade your server's copy of Pure-FTPd.

The issue was that Pure-FTPd changed its behavior: it originally expected timestamps in the server's local timezone and that's what BC sends. In 2009 they changed it to expect them in UTC instead. I've added code to detect the version and switch automatically, but more recent releases (2011+) support a different, standardized command, which avoids the guesswork.
                        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• cstern
                          Fanatic
                          • Feb 2008

Great - this will make online backup of files to a FTP server much easier.

Comment

• cstern
                            Fanatic
                            • Feb 2008

not fixed in 16628

Comment

• Aaron
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

Hello,

We'll need an updated email showing us the new login and initial directory listing with details enabled (Options, Advanced, "Log Panel" section, Debug messages and FTP Trace enabled). Then after the initial directory, please perform a copy of a file, then Touch that file.

A new screenshot or two with a wide Timestamp column (showing as much detail as possible, where we show more detail the wider the column is) would also be helpful.

Thanks. You can email us at [email protected]. Please include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...