• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Codewerk
    New User
    • Jun 2013

FTP - folder compare : Too many open files

Hi,

When doing a remote folder compare (regular FTP) with 4 simultaneous connections (not sure if that matters) after a while the comparison stops.

Edit: this is when using the "Compare content / Rule based" session setting.

The error message in the log window shows:

Unable to create file "/var/folders/7w/c04d81tj7hnfsy1p2tjsm5840000gn/T/BC4_norlGJ": Too many open files

Apparently file handles stay open?

I've roughly counted the number of succesful transfers before this occurs (did a replace on ''Transfer complete" in the log and got > 14300 hits.

This is was a CMS site with lots of small files (Joomla).

Kind regards,

Johan
    Codewerk
    Last edited by Codewerk; 25-Jun-2013, 03:46 AM. Reason: Added extra information
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report. We've managed to reproduce this and we'll investigate what we can do to improve this scenario.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• billj9000
      Visitor
      • Mar 2014

I was wondering whether there has been any progress on this. I have been experiencing this on Linux. As above, this is on a web site with many small files.

I have never experienced it on Windows XP on the same web site.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

billj9000,

We did add a bug fix with BC4 Mac beta version 4.0.0.16447, released July 9, 2013, that should have fixed or improved this problem on the Mac.

Are you using the default number of simultaneous connections (1 connection), or have you increased the value from the default?

Also, you said you're running BC4 beta on Linux. What Linux distribution are you running it on?
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• billj9000
          Visitor
          • Mar 2014

Hi, Chris.

This is on Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon Edition 64, which I believe is quite close to Ubuntu.
          I realise this section is for MAC but I wondered if this issue might be common to both platforms. I have suffered it with BC3 as well and have always had to work around it on Linux (but never on XP).

The number of simultaneous connections is 1 (unchanged from default).

If I monitor the number of open files on the process while comparing the local and remote directory trees it sits around 80-82. I haven't yet seen how or when it increases but at some point it stops comparing and trying to compare any individual file after this point results in "Too many open files". At this point the number of open files is 1093. I can test it again to see if this number is consistent.

The maximum number of open files on my system is 29,000 or thereabouts. I increased it to 60,000 to no effect - the comparison still seems to stop at the same point in the tree. As far as I can see there are no user-specific or process-specific limits imposed on the max open files.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report and information. I was able to reproduce some odd behavior testing this, and will open a tracker entry to investigate.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• billj9000
              Visitor
              • Mar 2014

I have tried testing it on another, similar system today. Every time I try to perform the FTP comparison I get a series of crash reports. I have e-mailed them to [email protected]

Thanks for looking at this. Looking forward to the finished product

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Yup, we definitely have a few issues here and fixes already submitted. Keep an eye on the News and Announcements forum or the Check for Updates function to see when that next build is available.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...