• Show
Clear All
  • thowa
    New User
    • Apr 2009

Beyond Compare in Perforce context menu

Hi,

I'm using Beyond Compare 3 on Windows.
    I really use the "Select Left File for Compare" and Compare to'...'" from the context menu quite a lot. This is a cool feature to compare the same file in different folders.

I wonder if it would be possible to use the same feature within Perfore.
    I think of 2 use cases:
    A: Perforce <-> Windows
    Select a file in Perforce and open the context menu by a right click.
    Have the possibility to set this file as first file for comparisson.
    Browse with the Windows Explorer to any file and select "Compare to [the previously selected file in Perforce]"
    B: Perforce <-> Perforce
    Select a file in Perforce and open the context menu by a right click.
    Have the possibility to set this file as first file for comparisson.
    Browse within Perforce to any file and select "Compare to [the previously selected file in Perforce]"

Just to be clear, I'm not speaking about comparing files within Perforce.
    I have set up BC3 already as external diff tool and it works great to compare files within Perforce.

Thanks in advance
    Thorsten
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

As a general Windows Explorer shell extension, BC3's extension can appear in any program that supports showing the Explorer context menu. BC3 itself is a program that supports this (in the Folder Compare, right click, Explorer -> see Explorer items). Perforce would need to support this type of functionality for the Explorer context menu to appear.

I would suggest contacting them and opening a support request; they might have this ability as an option already, and if not it could be a feature request. If they do have this functionality, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post back here with instructions as it would help out fellow users.

Thanks for the feedback and idea.

And just for reference, for other users that stumble into this thread, the documentation for defining BC3 as a diff/mergetool can be found here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...b_vcs#perforce
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...