• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Stop Operation toolbar button

Cosmetic:

When Cirrus is in the middle of copying a file, the tooltip for the flashing X in the toolbar says "Stop Loading".

I would think that the tooltip should should be more generic "Stop Operation" (Better) or should reflect the context of the operation "Stop Copying" (Best).
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

The toolbar cancel button only affects background operations (building folders or performing content comparisons). If it's live it might cancel running file operations too, but that's a side effect of the implementation and could be considered a bug. If you don't have background content comparisons on that button stays disabled during copies.
    Last edited by Zoë; 19-Dec-2007, 01:24 PM. Reason: Clarification on background ops
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

I have a default comparison method chosen, but have Background Compares turned off.
      The toolbar cancel button always flashes during a file copy.

It is confusing to have two cancel buttons during a file copy. Quite often, when I want to cancel the copy in progress, I click the cancel button in the toolbar. I expect other users will do the same. They look the same, so users will assume that they do the same thing.

Upon occasion, the toolbar cancel button remains flashing indefinitely after the copy completes. Cirrus doesn't appear to be doing anything (it is using 0 CPUs in task manager) yet, even if I leave Cirrus alone for 15 minutes or more, the hourglass cursor and the flashing cancel button remain until the Cancel button is clicked. Once the toolbar cancel button is clicked, the hourglass goes away and the cancel button grays out immediately. There is no other flicker, screen update, or log entry to indicate that anything was actually cancelled.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

During or After

If you copy a single large file (should take at least 10 seconds to copy over), does the toolbar Abort/Cancel button flash during, or after the copy is complete?

Are you normally copying between a local drive letter (c:\) and a remote folder (\\remotelocation\folder)?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

Looks like the toolbar cancel button occurs when Cirrus is calculating the CRC on the target system once the file copy is complete.

My copies are from \\remotelocation1\folder to \\remotelocation2\folder (file stores on two different remote machines). Things look okay when I only copy one file (toolbar cancel does not show up until after copy is complete...then runs for about a minute afterwards while the CRC is calculated...then stops when CRC appears).

I guess the cancel button confusion comes from CRC calulations in progress for multiple-file copies where some file transfers have completed and others are still in progress. Perhaps it is simply the number of large files I am copying that causes the CRC calculations to run so long after the copy completes...though I don't understand why CPU usage in Task Manager drops to zero if a read for a CRC calculation is still in progress...
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Oct 2007

Actually, this explains a lot.

1) There have been MANY times that I have attempted to cancel a multiple-file copy and Cirrus just hangs. Shut it down and I get a memory leak error. I guess I've been cancelling the CRC calculation instead of the copy. Cirrus goes right on copying files and triggering more CRC calculations, so the toolbar cancel button keeps flashing. Now that I understand what is happening, it makes sense...but it remains an area of potential confusion to users that haven't figured out the difference between the two cancel buttons.

It might be better to suppress the flashing cancel button in the toolbar while a copy is in progress so there is no confusion as to what cancel button needs to be pressed to cancel the copy...but that would probably just result in a different set of confusing circumstances...

I guess I'll revert to binary comparisons and forget about CRC. Although it has it's place, it just doesn't work well at all as a default comparison type for new folder compare sessions.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Oct 2007

Can't ignore CRC

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
              I guess I'll revert to binary comparisons and forget about CRC.
              After changing the compare method to binary, Cirrus still calculates the CRC for every file on both remote servers. I don't have any good ideas for a work-around so I'll just have to live with it as-is.
              BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Zoë
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Cirrus only calculates the CRC for files if you (A) have a CRC-based comparison active or (B) have the CRC column visible. In the case of (B) it will always calculate the CRCs; it doesn't leave them blank if you don't have a CRC-based comparison active.
                Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...