X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scrumbus
    Visitor
    • Dec 2007

Any way to use a timeout yet?

I know many versions ago there wasn't a way to utilize some sort of timeout when scripting and calling a load when the referenced location isn't available (whether it be a share or PC or whatever).

Right now I chain a few different synchs together into one script and schedule that one script - if one PC is turned off the whole chain fails.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

There is not a way to recover from a fatal scripting error (which includes failing to load a base directory).

The common workaround to this dilemma is to use a bat file. This bat file can call multiple script references, such as:

bcompare.exe "@c:\bcscript.txt" "c:\folder1" "c:\folder2" "c:\bcreport1.txt"
    bcompare.exe "@c:\bcscript.txt" "c:\folder3" "c:\folder4" "c:\bcreport2.txt"
    bcompare.exe "@c:\bcscript.txt" "c:\folder5" "c:\folder6" "c:\bcreport3.txt"

bcscript.txt can then be a single script file, that uses parameters:
    load "%1" "%2"
    expand all
    folder-report layout:side-by-side output-to:"%3"

Using this method, you can also perform other tips, such as generating a temp report and appending it between each step:

bcompare.exe "@c:\bcscript.txt" "c:\folder1" "c:\folder2"
    type tempReport.txt >> AllReport.txt
    bcompare.exe "@c:\bcscript.txt" "c:\folder3" "c:\folder4"
    bcompare.exe "@c:\bcscript.txt" "c:\folder5" "c:\folder6"
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• scrumbus
      Visitor
      • Dec 2007

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can rework them that way to keep it moving.

Comment

• wayne613
        Visitor
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Aaron
        There is not a way to recover from a fatal scripting error (which includes failing to load a base directory).
        Are there plans in an upcoming future release to allow a continue-on-error flag or the like? It is a bit bug-nutty having a script halt completely due to not getting a connection or the like.

Thanks,
        Wayne

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

We do not have this specific featured currently scheduled. It's something on our radar, but failing to load a base folder is considered a serious error. Handling it would need to account the various types of potential scenarios (such as local drives, external, network shares, FTP, and a drive letter that could be bound to almost anything).

Is the above workaround helpful for you? With multiple script calls using parameters, it usually allows for a single script file to be used multiple times.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...