• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eyebex
    Enthusiast
    • Mar 2013

Jump to first conflict section on open

Hi,

I'm using BC3 as my Git merge tool. I realize there's an option called "When loading new files, got to first difference", but unfortunately that does not apply to the first unresolved conflict section in a 3-way merge. Is there a chance to make this option also apply to unresolved conflict sections, or add another option for that?

Thanks!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

In the Tools menu -> Options, File Views, Next Difference section, "When loading new files, go to first difference" should load the merge and go to the first difference. The first difference might be a conflict or might be a normal difference if Favor <specific> Side is not enabled.

Is this the behavior you are seeing? Or is it starting at line 1 even if line 1 is completely equal in all 3 input files?

If you would like to send in a set of example files to [email protected] we could review this merge.

Please email us:
    - the 3 input files (with the ancestor clearly marked)
    - Your BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support; Export
    - A full screen screenshot showing the issue
    - A link back to this forum thread for our reference
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• eyebex
      Enthusiast
      • Mar 2013

Yes, that's what I'm seeing. I.e, there's no bug, and BC3 jumps to the first difference (which is an automatically resolved conflict in my case). I more wanted to file a feature request to add a sub-option to jump to the first unresolved conflict instead.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback. This isn't currently supported but I'll add it to our Customer Wishlist for us to consider when we are looking for new features to add.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• eyebex
          Enthusiast
          • Mar 2013

Hi Aaron,

more than 2 years have passed and I still do not see this (small, but IMO very useful) feature in BC 4. Any chance so see this implemented soon?

Thanks.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Not yet. We've had quite a bit on our plate and have not had the free resources to tackle this. To see what we've released so far, including 64bit support, you can review our changelog here:
            http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...zz=v4changelog
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• fkorsa
              New User
              • Apr 2017

Hi,

I just wanted to second the request of eyebex. I'm also interested in this small-but-oh-so-useful feature. Hoping you will find the resources

Thanks for the great work.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Appreciated. It's still on our wishlist, and I'll add your notes to our entry on the subject.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• TLHobbes
                  Visitor
                  • Jun 2018

+1 to this request - I just registered to post for this very same feature ask. Indeed, please add an option to support the seemingly simple feature: to go to the *first unresolved conflict*, only when one exists and in which case not going to the first difference (of any kind). This feature can streamline 3-way-merge resolution and save developer time. It's a proven workflow found in other 3-way-merge tools.

Comment

• Chris
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

TLHobbes,

Thank you for the suggestion. Opening to the first unresolved conflict is still on our todo list for a future version. Our development team is pretty small and our product pretty complex, so it sometimes takes longer than we'd like to get to items on our feature request list.
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• eyebex
                      Enthusiast
                      • Mar 2013

Opening to the first unresolved conflict is still on our todo list for a future version.
                      Can you share up to which position in the priority list we have made it four years later?

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Sorry, we don't have any updates for this specific feature at this time. Similar to above, we've been pretty swamped with other development work. I'll nudge this one a little to get some eyeballs on it.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...