X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • svec
    Enthusiast
    • Jun 2011

"Opinion questions" answers

- Should files and folders be sorted together alphabetically, like Finder, or sorted with folders on top like BC & Explorer?

Tough call. I could go either way. I prefer the BC & Explorer way, but I guess I'm used to other Mac apps that do it the apple way.

- Do you have any specific suggestions for keyboard shortcuts? We've added ones that match existing OS X applications, but haven't done any others yet.

I miss CONTROL-N and CONTROL-P for next and previous difference. Maybe COMMAND-N COMMAND-P for those?

- Are there any file formats or archive types that we should consider supporting?

Text/code is all I care about.

- OS X apps generally don't include icons or keyboard shortcuts in their right-click menus, so BC currently doesn't either. Is this an issue for you?

Nope, that's no problem for me.

- OS X guidelines say KB/MB file sizes should be in base 10 instead of base 2 (e.g., a kilobyte should be 1000 bytes rather than 1024). Should we do this even though it would be different than the Windows version and could affect things like filters and scripting?

I'm a programmer, I want 2^N instead of base 10 stuff.

THANK YOU FOR THE MAC VERSION! :-)
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback.

I miss CONTROL-N and CONTROL-P for next and previous difference. Maybe COMMAND-N COMMAND-P for those?
    Command-N is already used for "New Window", and I'd like to keep that for compatibility with other apps, even though it's different than BC for Windows. Option-Up/Down or Ctrl-Up/Down are both available, and we could combine them with Shift for Next Difference in Line or Next/Previous Conflict.

Text/code is all I care about.
    Are there any OS X specific text/code formats that we should have built in file formats for? Does the C/C++ format work ok for Objective C? We aren't using Xcode, so I don't even know what the UI layout file format is for native Cocoa apps.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• svec
      Enthusiast
      • Jun 2011

I don't use Xcode either, so I'm no help there, sorry.

Maybe you should support plist files (configuration files), I think they're basically xml, but I've only glanced at them a few times.

Regarding next/prev difference keyboard shortcuts:

- I've never used "New" in BC, so I don't think it's a big deal to do COMMAND-N for next.
      - I'd prefer to use COMMAND instead of OPTION or CONTROL. Most Mac shortcuts use COMMAND, so I think that's the way to go.
      - If you're not going to use COMMAND-n and -p, Maybe COMMAND-j and -k (like vim shortcuts)
      - I'd like to keep my fingers on the middle of the keyboard. Believe it or not, I find it annoying whenever I have to use the arrow keys on my Macbook because they're out of the way of everything else I type.

Comment

• Andrewdotcom
        Visitor
        • Feb 2013

Following up with my own...

Should files and folders be sorted together alphabetically, like Finder, or sorted with folders on top like BC & Explorer?
        • Personl Preference and ease of use, I would prefer folder sorting at the top (BC and Explorer) OSX does many things wonderfully but alphabetical sorting gets in the way when dealing with vast folder structures.

Do you have any specific suggestions for keyboard shortcuts? We've added ones that match existing OS X applications, but haven't done any others yet.
        My most used and abused shortcuts would be:
        1. "Select only files"
          "Move selection Right"
          "Align line Number"

Are there any file formats or archive types that we should consider supporting?
        These are the most popular formats i've been seeing coming from the devs of several top techs.

.xml, .json, .properties, .xlif, .ts, .po, .js, .html
        Archives: ZIP, RAR, also SITX (might be nice for macs)

OS X apps generally don't include icons or keyboard shortcuts in their right-click menus, so BC currently doesn't either. Is this an issue for you?
        Would be nice, but does not bother me.

OS X guidelines say KB/MB file sizes should be in base 10 instead of base 2 (e.g., a kilobyte should be 1000 bytes rather than 1024). Should we do this even though it would be different than the Windows version and could affect things like filters and scripting?
        Personally would prefer base 2 over 10 just for consistency sake between pc and mac. But not fully aware of full implications

Comment

• svec
          Enthusiast
          • Jun 2011

In my previous reply I said I wanted COMMAND-N to be "next difference," but what I meant to say was "next difference section" - and COMMAND-P should be "previous difference section". (that way COMMAND-N and COMMAND-P mirror BC's Windows keyboard shortcuts of CONTROL-N and CONTROL-P)

Comment

• dreadjr
            Journeyman
            • Feb 2013

I am pretty sure to be consistent for mac, command+n is "New" for document based apps.

Comment

• ernmando
              Visitor
              • Apr 2013

Next Difference Section shortcut

I haven't thought through all the implications of the different shortcut options here, but next and previous difference are commands I use most in BC in my pre-commit routine, so it's weird for me trying to use it without shortcuts.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

We definitely want to have a set of shortcuts out of the box; we are trying to determine the best set of expected shortcuts for OSX users.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...