2 things.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timh

2 things.

2 things that I have noticed, and I'm not sure, if I just can't find them or just not implemeneted yet.

Printing, and ignore column ranges..

1st impressions/intuitive:
    I could not figure out how to enable 3 way diff, unless it was from the command line.

Thanks, Tim
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Sorry, There is no 3-Way Text Compare.

Originally posted by timh
    I could not figure out how to enable 3 way diff
    A 3-way compare (3-way diff) was originally intended for BC3, but got dropped due to the tight development timeline. I have asked the Scooter team to add it to the roadmap for a post release version 3.x, but it hasn't shown up there yet.

There remains a small glimmer of hope:

Originally posted by Tim
    Scooter says:
    November 14th, 2006 at 11:39 am

1) 3-way compare will probably make it into some 3.x release, although likely not 3.0. We had it in our early prototypes, but shelved it for now because of time constraints.
    Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 14-Dec-2007, 01:00 PM.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

We do have Text Merge

What is your scenario for 3way diffing? We support Text Merge (lower left, separate button from Text Compare) for a 3way comparison common with source control.

In general, this Text Merge is used when you have 3 files, one of the files is a common ancestor.

Does Text Merge meet your needs?

-Printing:
      We call this Reporting. We have Folder and File Reports. When in folder view, you can access either (Sessions Menu->Folder Compare Report. Actions Menu-> File Comparison Report)

When in File mode, you can only choose File Comparison Report.
      Last edited by Aaron; 14-Dec-2007, 02:05 PM. Reason: adding Reporting answer
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Tim
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

To ignore column ranges for a type of file, define a File Format for it. On the Grammar tab, click "New", give your column range a name, and select Columns to set the beginning/end of the range.

Then, in your text comparison, click the umpire icon and you'll see your new named element on the list of things that can be ignored.
        Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Aaron
          What is your scenario for 3way diffing?
          Yes, 3-way text merges work great. We already have the Cirrus BC3 beta integrated with Visual Studio Team Foundation Server to assist with any manual merging we may need to perform. I consider 3-way diffing to be a 3-way text compare: three files open in three full-edit panes with the ability to copy lines from one adjacent file to the next, then save your changes.

Unlike a merge session, a diff would not have an output pane. Since there would be no formal ancestor file in a 3-way diff, I would probably implement the swap sides functionality as follows:

From Left Pane: Swaps left and center.
          From Center Pane: Swaps left and right.
          From Right Pane: Swaps right and center.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Defined

Thanks for a definition, Michael.

Since timh did not post an example workflow, I wanted to show Text Merge, in case his definition of what he needed from a 3way diff was different. It can be missed since some people can expect Text Compare to 'expand into 3way merge.'
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...