Minimal Installation for running a script only

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimal Installation for running a script only

Okay, I'm in the process of preparing to deploy BC to my organization for running some BC scripts on each machine.

Since all workstations will be just running the script side of BC, can I either manually install just a few files and reg settings or do I need to run the original installer on each machine?

Thanks!
    Greg Moore
    SRG Partnership, Inc.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Minimal Installation for running a script only

You can run BC in single directory mode so that all settings are stored with the executable instead of in the registry.

Copy BC2.exe onto the machine.
    Create a file named BC2.xml in that same directory for BC to store settings instead of in the registry.
    Create a file named BC2.key in that directory and paste your license key into it.

If you want to transfer settings from your main system, use Tools|Export Settings, export everything, then copy the .xml files into the directory where you copied BC2.exe. Rename the Prefs.xml file to BC2.xml. Now you'll have all of your settings on the new machine, all run from a single directory.

This also works if you want to run BC from removable media. You can even run BC from read only media like a cd using this method, you just won't be able to save new sessions or other settings.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Chris can this option be used on a cd os like winpe?

Thanks

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

I don't have any experience with WinPE, and I haven't heard from any users using BC with WinPE yet.

Running in single directory mode only requires read-only access to the files and it does not do anything in the registry, so my guess is that it might run under WinPE.

If you do try running it under WinPE and it works successfully, please let us know.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I added the files to a winpe cd today. When booted up to the winpe os I tried launching bc2.exe and received the following error:
          "The system cannot execute the specified program"

Thanks

Are there any required objects? or does .net framework need to be installed?

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

BC does not require the .NET framework.

I've never used winpe so it is hard to say what might be causing the problem.

It could be a limitation in winpe. It also might be that winpe is missing a dll that is required by BC.

You can use Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com to find out what dlls BC loads.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Chris can this option be used on a cd os like winpe?

Thanks
              I have tested days ago that BC can runs in winPE
              In this situation, you can custom BC to store all the setting in bc2.ini
              if you use 2000 or above, move files in
              C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare

to bc's dirctory.

You can find a PE's tool in www.nu2.nu

Comment

I added the files to a winpe cd today. When booted up to the winpe os I tried launching bc2.exe and received the following error:
                "The system cannot execute the specified program"

Thanks

Are there any required objects? or does .net framework need to be installed?

I think it's problems of your winpe, you can find a tool in nu2.nu
                Maybe, it lost some importand system dlls, and when you run other delphi programs, this would also happen.

Comment

• Liangjinhui
                  • Mar 2004

Ooops£¬I have forgotten to login
                  besides, when you runs PE in non English enviorment, you should set the font of dialog to your own font.

Comment

• davebush
                    Visitor
                    • Jul 2004

I liked the idea of running from my "utility" CD, so created a folder like you said. It works fine on disc, but when run from the Cd I get a message box from Beyond Compare saying "Access is Denied" - any ideas?

Comment

• Chris
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Does the CD contain the BC2.exe, BC2.xml (generated as Prefs.xml by Tools|Export Settings), Sessions.xml, Rules.xml, and BC2.key (license key) files?

As an alternative you can create a BC2.ini file to make BC store settings using the old ini format.

Are you running BC from the cd with an account that has administrator access? The Access denied message could be due to some sort of file permissions problem.
                      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...