X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobinR
    New User
    • Dec 2011

Update to mp3 compare

The MP3 tag comparison tool doesn't always find metadata that Windows Media Player adds to my files. From what I can figure out with Hex comparisons, such changes are frequently associated with relatively arcane meta-information, and I often don't bother to update my older files. But (a) it's pretty hard to try to figure out what has changed, and (b) I don't really want out-of-sync files.

Here's a screenshot of a hex comparison of two mp3's that the mp3 rules-based comparison says are identical.

Is an updated mp3 compare in the works?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

I don't see a screenshot on this forum post. Would it be possible to get a pair of sample files emailed to [email protected] along with a link to this forum thread for us to reference?

If you run a binary scan, you can determine if any part of an mp3 file has changed. This would help keep files from getting out of sync. Also, the MP3 Compare's "Data" field should pick up any of these changes if they are not listed as a Tag. Is that enabled and important in your comparison?

We do have a Wishlist entry for expanding the tag information, but it would be helpful to get the sample files and more details on the format for me to add to the entry.

UPDATE: You will also want to be running the latest release for any potential enhancements to our different sessions, such as the MP3 Compare. Our latest release is 3.3.3 and all 3.x updates are free for 3.x users.
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php
    Last edited by Aaron; 14-Dec-2011, 10:40 AM. Reason: UPDATE
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bushbomb
      New User
      • Mar 2012

I wanted to know if an MP3 update was in the works also. I use Beyond Compare daily frequently without issue, but I've always had trouble with MP3's. Specifically ratings. I synchronize approx 100Gb of MP3 files between 4 different locations. Sometimes a rating will have been changed on the same song at two different locations. My Folder compare flags these files as different because of the timestamps.

At this point, I would like to double click the file to compare and see what is different. In my case, the music is identical, Title, Artist, Album, etc...... are all the same, so it says they are identical. In reality, they have different ratings. One may have 3.5 Stars while the other is 5 stars. If I manually open the file in Media Monkey, Windows Media Player (or even just look at the rating in Windows Explorer) I can see that the two files have different ratings.

The MP3 compare does great at the parts of the ID3 tags it does compare, but I would like it to also compare the Rating. Is this a possibility?

Comment

• Erik
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

If possible, please email your files to [email protected] so we can look into this further.

Thanks,
        Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

If you can email the pair of sample files to [email protected], that would be great. Please also include a link to this forum post for our reference.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bushbomb
            New User
            • Mar 2012

Thanks, files submitted.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Thanks. I've made a tracker entry to investigate this. Your files and scenario are very helpful.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...