X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alecthegeek
    New User
    • Dec 2013

Git 1.8 on OS X

I am having some issues with BC4 on OS X Git. I have the my diff tool settings as follows. (I do have the command line BC4 tools installed)

[diff]
    tool = bc4

[difftool "bc4"]
    path = /usr/local/bin/bcomp

Which AFAIK is correct -- but I only get text diffs. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Alec
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you try this, how does this work for you?
    Code:
    [diff]
        tool = bcomp
    [difftool]
        prompt = false
    [difftool "bcomp"]
        trustExitCode = true
        cmd = "/usr/local/bin/bcomp" "$LOCAL" "$REMOTE"
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...ad.php?t=11677

Which version of Git are you using? Git's development is constantly in flux, and we often see releases make/break this configuration.

Also, note that the custom difftool name does matter ([difftool "BC4"] vs. "bcomp") as Git sometimes auto-detects and overrides behavior based on this, but this behavior is not always platform agnostic. For example, a few versions back using the text "BC3" would make Beyond Compare 3 for Windows 'just work' as a Git difftool, but wouldn't on Linux. However, the "Detect BC3" code in Git was on both Windows and Linux, and we temporarily had to suggest renaming it as a workaround until both platforms were patched and now run well with minimal configuration.

We've seen BC3 support steadily improve, and I suspect now that the beta has just released we'll see some changes/improvements with Git in the next few versions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• alecthegeek
      New User
      • Dec 2013

That works -- thanks.

Happy new year to everyone at Scooter

Comment

Working...