X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cringthis
    Journeyman
    • Feb 2008

BC 4.1 .tar.gz install failed b/c ldconfig isn't on the path

Beta feedback for BC 4.1.0.20431 for 64-bit x86 on recent LTS Ubuntu (not sure exact version).

I install BC as a user (not root), and don't have /sbin in my path. ldconfig on my box is located in /sbin/ldconfig.

install.sh assumes ldconfig is on your path and blindly calls it. Which caused install.sh to fail in my case - possibly leaving BC half-installed. Not good.

I changed install.sh's call to ldconfig to /sbin/ldconfig and the install completed ok.

I might suggest you "look around" for ldconfig before blindly assuming it's on the users path? Maybe try it on the path, then try /sbin, then maybe other places?

Chris
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you are on Ubuntu, I recommend using the 64bit.deb package. This should use your native OS installer and handle any issues needed for installing the program.

I'll pass along your notes about ldconfig to our Linux developer. My hunch is there are only a limited number of places we can check for it, and if it's not found the .tar.gz install will need to fail.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• cringthis
      Journeyman
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

If you are on Ubuntu, I recommend using the 64bit.deb package. This should use your native OS installer and handle any issues needed for installing the program.
      Thanks for the reply. My issue is that I'm in a corporate environment and don't have sudo or root on this shared Ubuntu box. Is there a way to install a .deb package without being root?

That brings up another general issue I've been having with install - I may not have all the new dependencies in 4.1 and when I actually run BC 4.1 it mostly works, but there are some strange things (missing menus, 7z files don't extract, etc). Of course it's on me to get my IT dept to install those dependencies. But maybe detecting missing dependencies (during install? And runtime?) and gracefully failing would be another suggestion.

I guess this is just general beta feedback that the install is clumsy/difficult for non-root, non-sudo users.

Chris
      Last edited by cringthis; 03-Sep-2015, 10:12 AM. Reason: Added clarification about installing dependencies

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

You would really need admin access in order to resolve the necessary dependencies. Most are vital for running the application, otherwise it wouldn't launch. It sounds like you may have had access originally to install most of them for 4.0, which is why you are able to partially launch the program, but are now in a weird state where you have some dependencies, while some need updates or are missing.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...