X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rrolih
    New User
    • Aug 2012

Column selection techniques Excel compare

I have two spreadsheets to compare. The second is a later version of the first but with additional columns (say A,B,C) and, possibily, some changes in the old columns. Can I compare old sheet's columns A,B,C with new sheet's columns D,E,F?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Yes, but you will need to align the columns manually in the Data Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings Columns tab. Here you can select a cell (which represents a column in the Left or Right file) and use the Up Arrow or Down Arrow buttons to move the cell, aligning it by row to the matching cell in the other file.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• pdegregorio
      Journeyman
      • Apr 2005

Dealing with inserted columns

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

Yes, but you will need to align the columns manually in the Data Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings Columns tab. Here you can select a cell (which represents a column in the Left or Right file) and use the Up Arrow or Down Arrow buttons to move the cell, aligning it by row to the matching cell in the other file.
      This answer was helpful in helping me deal with an Excel with inserted columns by selecting all of the now misaligned columns in the original file and moving them down.
      Example:
      Right side file has columns A, B, C, D (new), E (was D), F (was E), G (was F)
      Left side file has original columns A, B, C, D, E, F
      Solution is to select left side file D, E, F (click and drag or click-shift-click) then move down, aligning DEF with what is now EFG

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Yup. Automatically detecting and moving inserted or shift columns is on our wishlist, but for now it's a manual process.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...