• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 150d
    Enthusiast
    • Dec 2008

always name-based?

Hi,

do comparisons always need to be filename-based? I'd like to compare these two folders:

Folder 1:
    file A
    file B

Folder 2:
    file 1
    file 2

The file named "A" is the same as the one named "1", but BC reports it as different because the name doesn't match. No further checks are being performed.

Is there a way to compare based on other criteria NOT including filename, such as file size and binary compare result?

Regs,
    150d
  • Alden
    Visitor
    • Mar 2010

Hi.

I have the some problem.

I have 2 files, one called "niwa-for.pdf" and the other called "niwa(for).pdf". Both files are the same, with size 103,462 and CRC 8C4B0E47.

However Beyond Compare shows the files as they are different, it means, Beyond Compare thinks the files are different even if the CRC is the same.

The application only see they are the same when the files have the same name, so if I rename the first file "niwa-for.pdf" to "niwa(for).pdf" Beyond Compare realizes they are the same.

I attach a partial screenshot showing the problem.

Regards.

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello,

The alignment is based on the file name. After pairs of files are aligned, we then use the currently set comparison criteria to determine if the files are the same, different, newer, etc. If the file names do not match, you can use the Manual Align command, or use the Alignment Override command in BC3 Pro.

Alignment Overrides are logical rules for aligning files with the same masked text, and specifically defined different text. For example *1.jpg <> *A.jpg.

Orphan files are files that did not have a match on the other side.
      Last edited by Aaron; 08-Mar-2010, 03:36 PM. Reason: added Orphan definition.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

The alignment is based on the file name. After pairs of files are aligned, we then use the currently set comparison criteria to determine if the files are the same, different, newer, etc. If the file names do not match, you can use the Manual Align command, or use the Alignment Override command in BC3 Pro.

Alignment Overrides are logical rules for aligning files with the same masked text, and specifically defined different text. For example (.*)-(.*)\.pdf <> $1\($2\).pdf with Regular Expressions enabled. The first (.*) grabs everything before the dash, and the \ characters are escape characters used to define . and ( and ) literally. $1 refers to the first text within the (section) on the left; $2 refers to the second text section within '(' and ')'.

Orphan files are files that did not have a match on the other side.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Alden
          Visitor
          • Mar 2010

Sorry, but I don't understand well. If I have selected in the rules "Compare contents: CRC comparison" or "Compare contents: Binary comparison" and also the option "Override quick test results", why doesn't the application detect the files are the same?

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

The comparison selected (CRC or Binary) is a scan that is run on pairs of files that have been aligned by name. So, the folders are first loaded, the files are aligned based on folder structure and name (configurable with options and alignment overrides), and then aligned files have their differences revealed.

Beyond Compare does not currently detect or find duplicate files based only on file content.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Alden
              Visitor
              • Mar 2010

Please, could you tell me then the regular expression to be used in aligment overrides in order to the application takes account only CRC or binary content by default for all files, independently of name, size, date, etc.? I'm trying to use *=* or (.*)-(.*)\.*=$1\($2\).*, but it cannot works [(.*)-(.*)\.pdf=$1\($2\).pdf works, but only with PDF files, I want it works for any kind of file, independently of its extension].

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

The regular expressions are used to match text that is the same. So if the extensions match on both sides, you can define .pdf to be a mask, too. (.*)-(.*)\.(.{3}) = $1\($2\)\.$3 for example. The trick is you must explicitly define any different text. So if your files are fileA.txt and fileB.txt, you can create a mask to match the "file" and the ".txt", but A and B are explicitly typed out:
                *A.* = *B.* (Dos Mask: not regular expression).

There is no regular expression for the application to take into the account only the CRC. We can show the CRC column, but the filename must match (or have an alignment override applied).
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• aidan.whitehall
                  Visitor
                  • May 2009

Hi Aaron

Is there any possibility that you'd include an "Ignore File Name" option (i.e. so that you can find duplicate files) in BC3 ?

That'd be darned useful!

Comment

• Chris
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Aidan, thanks for the suggestion. We're considering comparison ignoring filenames and duplicate searching features as a possibility for future versions of Beyond Compare.
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• aidan.whitehall
                      Visitor
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by Chris
                      We're considering comparison ignoring filenames and duplicate searching features as a possibility for future versions of Beyond Compare.
                      BTW (and as a note to Self as much as anything), subsequent to this post I've since come across AllDup at http://www.alldup.de/en_alldup.htm which does an amazing job of finding file duplicates, regardless of the names. Highly recommended.

Comment

Working...