X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgillespie
    Enthusiast
    • Dec 2007

integerate with Eclipse "egit"

Running the Google provided Android Eclipse bundle, which bundles Eclipse, the Android ADT. It has GIT support out the box using Eclipse "egit".

I havn't installed anything GIT related, and it all works just fine using this. The big question is, how to integrate Beyond Compare?

Alll the instructions seem to assume that I have installed the windows GIT binary, rather than the eclipse Java based egit add-in.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Is there a location to define an External Diff or Merge tool in either the Git or Eclipse configuration?

We do have a plug-in our on VCS page for Eclipse; does "egit" hook into this call?
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...kb_vcs#eclipse
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mgillespie
      Enthusiast
      • Dec 2007

The plugin name suggests it's all centred about CVS...

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

The plug-in is designed for CVS and SVN, but the egit support might hook into the same area when calling the internal difftool as this tool overrides.

Did you find any documentation on egit support of external diff or merge tools? I performed a bit of searching but have not found anything yet. I would need to setup the environment in a test VM next, to see if I can find it within the program itself.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

I have not gotten the full environment setup yet, but I did find in the Eclipse Preferences, under Team -> Git -> Configuration, it points to a .gitconfig file. If you make the recommended changes for Git for Windows here, does that work for you?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mgillespie
            Enthusiast
            • Dec 2007

Solved the problem by ditching the truly horrendous Eclipse, and moved to the new Android Studio (based on IntelliJ).

It's so much nicer, and doesn't need 32GB of ram and a $1000 i7 to run properly like Eclipse seems to need these days with the Android ADT.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/studio.html

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

That's one way to solve the issue. Good timing with the Goolge I/O presentation, eh?

If anyone else runs into this issue, please let us know if the setting I point out above does help call BC3.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• lokimon
                New User
                • Oct 2013

I have a .gitconfig which brings up BC3 just fine when running git difftool from a command line. This is the same .gitconfig which is referenced in Team -> Git -> Configuration. It does not bring up Beyond Compare when selecting compare with HEAD revision in Eclipse. It still brings up the Eclipse diff tool... which is not nearly as nice. Anyway for scootersoftware to create it's own plugin?

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Hello,

It is unlikely we would be able to create our own Eclipse plug-in. BeyondCVS (listed above) is not a Scooter Software product, but an open source project hosted on Sourceforge.

It also sounds like a bug if the configuration does not allow an external diff tool. Most/many VCS solutions allow external applications (like BC3) to be used as their difftool with a simple command line.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• cagilla
                    Visitor
                    • Jan 2014

Hi,
                    I have found a context menu plugin called Context Quickie which works with BC4 (and presumably 3, since it is configurable).

An eclipse add-on which extends the context menu for accessing various windows tools like Beynod Compare, Tortoise SVN or Tortoise Git.

Comment

Working...