Any plans to include more granular capability for scripted TEXT file comparsons...?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • birdmite
    New User
    • Jun 2015

Any plans to include more granular capability for scripted TEXT file comparsons...?

Hello everyone:

I have been using a registered version of Beyond Compare (v3.3.13) and it works GREAT - very fast, absolutely accurate! For my purposes, I need to leverage the functionality using scripted calls and not the GU when comparing two text files. I have worked out a saved session that does exactly what I need, and I'm trying to trigger the same functionality in a scripted call.

We can generate the required report in HTML format using the GUI, but we are not able to replicate the full granularity in the scripted call. As I have learned from reading the BC blogs (and from testing), even the most recent version of Beyond Compare only allows the user to fully script a saved folder compare session.

Are there any plans to build out the extended functionality for comparing text files using the scriptable interface? We've got huge three-column report files that we are comparing, and need to be able to declare the third column as the primary key, then display the other two columns even though they are not included in the comparison. Our desired output format is HTML.

Thanks,

-->S.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Expanding our script and automated functionality is on our wishlist, but many of these tasks would not be short term. In the meantime, the workaround is parse and edit our BCSessions.xml which controls the default Session Settings, then call the script. You can use a Portable Install to help with this, since any user account (script or GUI) uses the same settings files that are located in the install directory of a Portable Install.

BCSessions.xml only populates with data once it has been changed from the default, so I recommend using the GUI initially to edit the Key and column positions, and then review/parse the XML for the proper syntax.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• birdmite
      New User
      • Jun 2015

RE: more granular capability fro scripted TEXT compares...

Hi, Aaron - many thanks for the speedy reply! I'll give these suggestions a go and see what happens.

-->S.

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

Expanding our script and automated functionality is on our wishlist, but many of these tasks would not be short term. In the meantime, the workaround is parse and edit our BCSessions.xml which controls the default Session Settings, then call the script. You can use a Portable Install to help with this, since any user account (script or GUI) uses the same settings files that are located in the install directory of a Portable Install.

BCSessions.xml only populates with data once it has been changed from the default, so I recommend using the GUI initially to edit the Key and column positions, and then review/parse the XML for the proper syntax.

Comment

Working...