X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kenfused
    New User
    • Nov 2006

can I keep date when file copies to new location

When I use BC to migrate files from one location to another the file modification date is the date time when moved rather than the date time the file had in the original location. Is there any way to keep the date from being overridden wehn I move teh files via BC?
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: can I keep date when file copies to new locat

If you copy files to a local disk or network drive using BC, it should automatically preserve the modified timestamp. The created and accessed timestamps are not preserved.

You can manually copy timestamps between files using the Actions|Touch command.

If you're transferring to an FTP server, many FTP servers don't support the command necessary to preserve timestamps. To work around this, copy new timestamps back to the local files after uploading them to an FTP site. To have BC do this automatically, select Session|Comparison Control. Go to the Advanced tab. Check "Touch local files when copying to an FTP site".
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Can't this be added as an option? I usually use xxcopy to copy files with the created date (I use it for backup), but I would like to switch to BC2 instead, but unfortunately BC2 lacks this option.
      The reason I want it is because I want to be able to restore my backup, having the file dates preserved. I.e. see when a file was originally created, not when it was created during a backup/synch session. I also want to be able to synch files between laptop/workstation preserving the original dates (so I can tell when a file was originally created, e.g. yesterday or 2 years ago).

Thanks.
      /GreenMoose

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. Preserving file creation dates is on our wish list for a future version of Beyond Compare.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Preserving file creation dates is on our wish list for a future version of Beyond Compare.
          Hope this feature is a top item in the "to do" list for version 3. Love your program and look forward to seeing v3!

Comment

• boskovuk
            Journeyman
            • Oct 2006

Chris,

any news regarding this functionality (preserving file creation date)?

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Preserving creation date probably won't be in Beyond Compare 3.0, but we are keeping it on our list of features we would like to add at some point.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• jofafrazze
                New User
                • Mar 2008

I'm a licensed user of Beyond Compare 2, and I want to second the need for preserving the creation date of files (and maybe folders as well, if technically possible).

(I don't mean to rant, but frankly, as I am a programmer myself, I think it ought to be a pretty small effort!?)

Comment

• obay
                  New User
                  • Jun 2009

Hello,

I need the same functionality too... and join my voice to everyone above + jofafrazze regarding the programming effort needed.

Thanks,

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                    Carpal Tunnel
                    • Oct 2007

The Windows XP operating system stamps a file or folder with the last date and time that you accessed it.
                    To disable this feature, open a command prompt, enter the following command then reboot:

FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 1

Alternately, you can disable this functionality directly in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\FileSystem]
                    "NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001

To re-enable last accessed timestamps, repeat the same command but replace 1 with 0;

FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 0
                    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
                    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• wonderer
                      New User
                      • Jun 2009

Another vote here for preserving the creation date when copying files.

Is there any reason for not always automatically preserving it, other than that XP doesn't? If some users do need it to behave like XP sometimes then perhaps BC could have an "Identical/Windows Copy Mode" button.

Are there any other properties/attributes of a file that get lost when it is copied? BC3 preserves extended attributes, does it also preserve other alternate data steams for example?

BC3 is very powerful in the way that it not only allows a user to compare and sync files but also their properties, such as modification date various attributes. Are there any plans to extend it's functionality to handle creation dates as well as modification dates?

I realise that implementing full support for creation dates would be quite a big task, and probably have to wait until version 4 if not later. However just syncing the creation date after copying a file shouldn't be too difficult to implement, any chance of including it in a future release of BC3?

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion about creation date preservation and Touch. This is on our Customer Wishlist, and I've added your comments to the entry.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris224
                          Journeyman
                          • Sep 2008

As it was mantioned two years ago I'm just gonna ask are any plans to preserve creation date of files during copying?
                          Thanx
                          Last edited by Chris224; 03-May-2011, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Hello Chris,

This is still on our Customer Wishlist, but is not available in the current version of BC3.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• twindaddy
                              New User
                              • Oct 2011

I need Last Modified Date retained when copying files...

Is this functionality in the latest version? I also need this functionality when I'm copying files over from my HDD to an external drive for backup purposes. I want the original dates retained, not the copied date. I can handle the last modified date instead of the Created date, but not the copy date. That simply doesn't work for backups trying to restore exact copies. It makes one's head spin to try and figure out if they are restoring the right files.

Thanks! You guys rock and the product is the best out there! Keep it up!
                              -Eric

Comment

Working...