X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nbd66m4
    Enthusiast
    • May 2011

Performance Question on Filtering on Unimportant Differences

I have 192 XLSX files I converted to CSV files all about 45K in size.

I have a process that compares same files twice, and posts results to website, results color coded. Once with filters, once without.

My performance doesn't change whether all work is performed locally on a W2K8 based Windows server or if output files are posted to another server.

I can run a non filtered file comparison in batch in less than 2 minutes creating HTML result file output.

If in my script I choose to ignore differences, the session fill ignore 6 RegExp date formats and 3 string formats, the process in batch now runs over 3 hours for those same 192 45K CSV files.

If I run it in the GUI as a folder compare, takes less minute to do the exact match versus fuzzy match. If I click each file the HTML is shown instantly, and I'm pretty sure if I clicked each of the 192 compares, I'd see HTML results for all in less than 5 minutes.

I'm not sure what all I need to show for RegExp rules, script, a sample file?

Maybe the issue is in my side, I just don't know. I know filtering stuff over each full line each line isn't free, but wow, 3 hours.

Any help would be appreciated.

doug
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

In the GUI, you can enable to run a Rules-based scan (Session menu -> Session Settings -> Comparison tab: leave timestamp, size, override enabled, also enable Rules-based) to "click" every file.
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...ferentthensame

Assuming a Folder Compare, you could configure the session settings and filters to work as expected in the GUI, then in script:
    load "Session Name"
    to load a session with criteria, filters, etc already set.

Would it be possible to post or email your current script file (before any other modifications/testing)? You can email us at [email protected], and please include a link back to this forum post for our reference.
    If you email us, you can also include your BCSupport.zip (Help menu -> Support; Export) which would include all of your settings, sessions, etc as well.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• nbd66m4
      Enthusiast
      • May 2011

Sent compare details and attachments

to [email protected] referencing this thread.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

I had a few specific script questions I've emailed back, along with details on more specifically the steps taken in the graphical interface you wish to line up with.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• nbd66m4
          Enthusiast
          • May 2011

That did the trick

I'm not sure why I missed the difference in the 2 scripts (filtered, non-filtered). Not even understanding the fix, I should have at least noticed it.

Thank you, this did scale the filtered compare dow to similat non-filtered timings.

Much regards,

doug

Comment

Working...