How to compare zip files that have a different extension?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Tillman
    Visitor
    • Jul 2012

How to compare zip files that have a different extension?

We have files that are actually zip files, but we have renamed them to a different extension, because our customers don't know (or care) what the format is. I'm looking for a way to tell BC3 that our extension name is actually a zip file, and should be treated as such. I don't see a way to do this in the "File formats" dialog. Is there a way to do it without renaming the files?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Yes, you can do this in the Tools menu -> Options dialog, Folder Views section, in the Archive Associations area. Scroll down the Archive Associations list to Zip, and add the new extensions to the list here. You will then need to restart BC3.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave Tillman
      Visitor
      • Jul 2012

I thought this was working for me, but now it is not (I don't use it much). When I try to compare two versions of my custom type from within Visual Studio (2010 or 2013), I get:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beyond Compare Error.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	76308.

Specifically, the error is "Folder Not Available". It appears that Visual Studio is not creating the files that it is passing to BC3. The folder (TFSTemp) is there, but the files are not being added to it. If I try to compare two versions of a CS file, the temporary files do get created in that folder. Have you seen something like this? Is there some setting on Visual Studio for controlling the temporary files created for use by a third-party compare tool?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Sorry, BC3's Folder Compare does not support waiting for a folder diff, which includes archive files (treated as folders). We did add this support in BC4, which you can test with our fully functional trial (which does not remove or alter BC3):
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php

Does this work in this scenario for you?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave Tillman
          Visitor
          • Jul 2012

BC4 is working as I expect in this regard. Thank you.

So if I interpret your analysis correctly, Visual Studio was creating the temporary files, but was then immediately deleting them?

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Correct, because when it calls BC3 we didn't support waiting in order to hold the files when in the Folder view, so it thinks we're immediately done with them then deletes them. This is something we added for BC4.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...