X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

9222 Wish: increased precision in Thumbnail View

Thanks for getting the Thumbnail View so right!

What would make it perfect is:

1) Precise display of mixed-status lines. E.g. Currently red+blue are approximated as red. I'd like to see all status.

2) Precise display of mixed-status sides. E.g. Currently main display's left red+black v. right black is approximated as left red v. right red. I'd like to see all status.

3) Accurate positioning of the dotted "current view" box e.g. see inaccurate attached.
    Last edited by chrisjj; 24-Oct-2008, 11:58 AM.
  • Erik
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

If you want the thumbnail to show the same as the display, right click on it and enable "Allow Scrolling". Otherwise, it may have to combine multiple lines into 1 pixel row. In that case, it gives precedence to important difference, then unimportant difference and finally same.
    Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

"Allow scrolling" makes no difference to these issues. They are not specific to line combining.

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Virtually every line of a comparison is going to have some mix of important, unimportant, and exact text. The only ones that wouldn't are those with every character being completely different and either entirely important or entirely unimportant.

If you're asking us to shrink the line differences horizontally the same way the thumbnail does lines vertically, I really can't see that happening. The display would be far too busy and condensed to be useful for anything other that absolutely trivial cases.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Apr 2008

> Virtually every line of a comparison is going to have some
          > mix of important, unimportant, and exact text.

Not here, with '[X] Never align differences'.

> If you're asking us to shrink the line differences horizontally the same way
          > the thumbnail does lines vertically

Not at all. I'm asking for only what I proposed - a solution to the current masking.

Comment

• Zoë
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

I think I have it. You're asking for the case where a single line of the thumbnail represents multiple lines of the comparison to color that line as a combination of the two? So if there was a line of difference and a line of exact matches it would be a pale red, and if there were just important and unimportant differences it would be purplish? The hex compare's thumbnail already does that if you want to see what I'm talking about.
            Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Apr 2008

> I think I have it. You're asking for the case where a single line of the
              > thumbnail represents multiple lines of the comparison to color that line as a
              > combination of the two?

No. As I replied to Eric, this is nothing to do with vertical line combining.

I'm asking for each side of each pixel row of the thumbnail to show all of the colours that are in the side of the comparison it represents. So e.g. where the comparison display right side line has red and blue, the right side of the corresponding thumbnail row will show red and blue.

Apologies for my previous lack of clarity.

Comment

• Zoë
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

My first response to you was along those lines and you said it wasn't the same because you have "never align differences" checked. I'm sorry, but I can't figure out what you're asking for, and neither could the other guys here. If you have time please modify a screenshot to show what you're looking for.
                Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                  Carpal Tunnel
                  • Apr 2008

> My first response to you was along those lines

Great - then you have it.

> and you said it wasn't the same because you
                  > have "never align differences" checked.

I didn't say that - to your characterisation "Virtually every line of a comparison is going to have some mix of important, unimportant, and exact text." I said only "Not here, with '[X] Never align differences'".

Comment

• Zoë
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

With never align differences checked, every line with differences will be a mix of blue and red because there will likely be some whitespace that will be marked as unimportant.

With never align differences unchecked every line with a difference will be a mix of black, blue, and red, due to trivial matches and the above issue.

I'm sure you have the exact idea of how this would work in your head, but so far I don't see how it would provide any benefit whatsoever.
                    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                      Carpal Tunnel
                      • Apr 2008

> With never align differences checked, every line with differences will be a
                      > mix of blue and red because there will likely be some whitespace that will
                      > be marked as unimportant.

Again, not here.

E.g. when comparing logfiles, I see no whitespace differences. I have to say I think it would be the same for any other user performing a similar task.

Comment

• Zoë
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

I'm sorry, but I can't see what you're asking for. If you want this to get any consideration at all you're going to have to email or post a screenshot showing what you hope to see.
                        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                          Carpal Tunnel
                          • Apr 2008

> you're going to have to email or post a screenshot

Will do.

Meanwhile, is point #3 clear?

Comment

• Zoë
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007