X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim Curtis
    New User
    • Nov 2009

How to change tab size from 8 spaces to 4

When I compare 2 files, I'm getting my code tabbed out by 8 spaces instead of 4 in the text compare window. I've hunted everywhere for the option to change this, but can't find it.

The nearest I could find was under Tools -> File Formats -> Misc. I ticked the box and changed the tab stop to 4 but it's still displaying 8 spaces rather than 4.

Please help.
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Tools\File Formats...\Misc tab

Hmmm... you're right... a tab character remains 8 spaces wide regardless of the selected value. The problem seems to be that going to File Formats does not auto-select the currently loaded format... and there is no entry for <default>... so if your file doesn't fall under a listed format, I can't see a way to change the tab setting unless you define a format for the file extension you are working with.

Scooter... it would be really nice if opening the File Formats dialog would auto-select the file format being used in the active compare session.

Likewise, it would be nice to know how to change the <default> settings for undefined file types
    Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 12-Nov-2009, 01:59 PM.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

The default Text Compare is in the separate box below the list of all of the File Formats installed, titled "Edit file format defaults". You can change the Tab stops in the Misc tab here.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

When in the File Formats dialog, which format did you select to edit. As Michael points out, you would need to select your specific file format or the default to notice a change. If you did not select one, then you simply edited the topmost fileformat in the list (by default, a C/C++ file format). You would then only notice a change if you were editing C/C++ files.

If you wish to change this for the default behavior, go to the Tools menu -> File Formats. Here you can edit the <default> file format n the separate box below the list of all of the File Formats installed, titled "Edit file format defaults". Select Text Format. You can change the Tab stops in the Misc tab here.
        Last edited by Aaron; 12-Nov-2009, 04:49 PM. Reason: tools menu: file formats
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Aaron
          The default Text Compare is in the separate box below the list of all of the File Formats installed, titled "Edit file format defaults".
          Thanks. Then I would like to add that if no defined file type is currently in use in the active compare session, it would be nice if opening the File Formats dialog auto-selected the defaults for the currently active compare session.

It is an honest mistake, even for a more advanced user like me, to assume that changing a file format setting (such as the tab settings) will apply to your current session without realizing that you must first manually select the format.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Thanks, Michael. We'll look into this and I'll add it to the Customer Wishlist.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...