X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryanjohnson00
    Visitor
    • Oct 2011

Alignment Overrides

I am comparing two folders and the filename is numbered and alphanumeric. I only want to compare the alphanumeric.

Filename1: S~586~createLead_3.0.cache
    Filename2: S~590~createLead_3.0.cache

The two filenames are the same, just uploaded at different times. How can I compare "createLead_3.0.cache" names?

Thanks!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Is the number consistent between both sides? You could use our BC3 Pro feature, Alignment Overrides (in the Folder Compare Session menu -> Session Settings -> Misc tab) to create a rule such as
    S~586~* = S~590~*

If you are already registered for Std edition, you can switch back to trial mode by following this guide:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_evalpro
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ryanjohnson00
      Visitor
      • Oct 2011

Thanks for the reply Aron! So I don't know the number that is assigned to the file. Is there some way that I can compare somethign like this: S~*~createLead_3.0.cache?

Where it compares everythign except for the number between the two ~

I have the trial set again and have access to that Alignment Override option. I'm waiting for the purchase order to go through so I can have my own licensed copy.

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

• ryanjohnson00
        Visitor
        • Oct 2011

I thought I posted a reply but I do not see it...

The number might be different in the S~586~. Is there a way to compare everything after the second ~?

I really want to ignore S~XXX~ and only compare files like this:

createLead_3.0.cache

I have attached a screen shot of what my compare looks like.

Thanks!

Ryan
        Last edited by ryanjohnson00; 05-Oct-2011, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Unfortunately, a constantly shifting number is much harder to align. Our file mask can match on matching test, but not on shifting/different text. You would need to define the different text explicitly. If it were missing from one side entirely, there is one workaround, but having different text on both sides must be defined in the current version of BC3.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ryanjohnson00
            I really want to ignore S~XXX~
            I don't know how important it is to retain the numeric prefixes. If it is important, back up your files (i.e. make a copy of them) first. Select all the files on one side (or both if you prefer) then right-click and rename them like this:

http://screencast.com/t/x3XbxIhJ8z0

or remove the numeric prefix altogether by renaming like this:

http://screencast.com/t/eXmLWi4g8

If you only rename the numeric prefix on the right side of the compare, then you will be able to use alignment overrides to match the files on the left side with the renamed files on the right side.

If you rename or remove the numeric prefix on both sides, then there will be no need to use alignment overrides because the unique text that prevents an automatic alignment of the files will will no longer be there.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761
            ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Working...