X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

BC 2.3 "unofficial" beta, builds 5001 and 6001

Today we are releasing two unofficial 2.3 betas for those users who are having trouble with the official release. They're unofficial in that they don't include an installer, localization, or a help file, but the exes themselves are still good. If you want to use them just extract the zip over your existing beta installation.

The zip files are available at:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/bc23e...-20_oldftp.zip (Old FTP, build 5001)
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/bc23e...-20_newftp.zip (New FTP, build 6001)

As for why there are two of them: We use a third-party library for our FTP support and for the 2.3 beta we upgraded to a new major release. There are was a lot of infrastructure work done that we want to use going forward, but we've discovered there are some bugs that will cause problems for some of our users so we're offering a version without that upgrade.

2.2.9 Build 5001, the "Old FTP" release, includes our FTP support as it was in 2.2.7 build 227. The only significant issue that we know of is that cancelling a transfer can be flaky for certain users. If the FTP support was working for you in the official releases and you want all of the rest of the 2.3 fixes this is the build to use. The exe size is 3,078,656 bytes.

2.2.9 Build 6001, the "New FTP" release, includes the updated FTP support that was added in the 2.3 beta. This release corrects the cancel issue mentioned above, adds support for compressing transfers on servers that support it (MODE Z), as well as support for some FTP-over-HTTP proxies. We know of two issues with this release: (1) Reconnecting after a server-side disconnect (eg, idle timeout) may not work without a full refresh. This includes both saying "Yes" to the reconnect prompt and using the auto-reconnect functionality. (2) Trying to read from or write to files that you don't have permission to can block the FTP site for as long as you have the read timeout set to. The exe size is 3,264,512 bytes.

We plan to switch completely to the upgraded version as soon as we're convinced it's stable. We may release 2.3 before then, in which case it will have the old version and we'll have an alternate download with the new version available for anyone who wants to help us test it.

Thanks to everyone who's helped us test the betas so far. If you find any new problems with either release please let us know.
    Zoë P Scooter Software
  • Pete
    Fanatic
    • Nov 2007

Re: BC 2.3 \"unofficial\" beta, builds 5001 and 6001

Hi Craig, sorry if I missed it in your post, but is there any difference between beta 2.3 build 229 and "New FTP, build 6001"? If not, can I just keep using build 229 until the next beta? Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Pete
      Fanatic
      • Nov 2007

The reason that I posted the question instead of just installing build 6001 is because if any changes were made between 229 and 6001, I don't understand what those changes are. Thanks.

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

If Build 229 is working for you then there isn't anything significant that would warrant an upgrade. This is mostly to make sure the two versions were in sync. Anyone using using the previous unofficial release that I posted in the Beyond Help forum (build 52xx) should definitely use either build 229 or one of these though.

Here are the changes between 229 and 6001:<ul type="square">[*]Removed fast refresh when switching between base folders (added in build 228). In the builds that have this (228 and 229) it will do a fast refresh on FTP sites too. It will be back in the next build, but it'll only refresh local and network drives.[*]BC2.XML and BC2.INI can now be stored in the Application Data directory instead of the exe directory.[*]Double clicking on the "xxx-Based Comparison of <xxx> to <xxx>" line in the compare contents results dialog will now open the file viewer for the compared files.[*]Fixed error when creating a new directory when ftping to an XBox running XBox Media Center.[*]Added FileViewer\MaxFileChunks DWORD tweak. This controls how large a file is before BC keeps it locked during the comparison.[/list]
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• wayneo
          Journeyman
          • Apr 2004

Build 6001 works for me -- no apparent FTP problems now.

Comment

• Davio
            Journeyman
            • Dec 2003

Build 6001 also works, when Cancelling an ftp connection. No problems with that for me. Looking forward to getting the issues with it fixed.

Keep up the good work guys.

Comment

Working...