Finding duplicate files.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding duplicate files.

Is it possible to find duplicate files in a folder even though they have different file names. The only way I have found to do this is to copy sideways and rename.

Hello,

No, BC4 does not have a duplicate file scan for a single folder. Alignment is based on file name first, and then the aligned pairs are scanned. Duplicates scanning is something on our long-term wishlist, but isn't currently supported. Depending on the size of your folder pairs, enabling the CRC column (which then generates it) is sometimes useful.

Instead of copying and renaming, if you only have two files, you can select any two files (on any side) using Ctrl+Left Click (for arbitrary selection), then right-click: Quick Compare.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi Aaron thanks for your reply. I will investigate the CRC column. I have a large numbr of files that are genuine duplicates but with varying file names from being copied several times. Will wait patiently for duplicate scanning

Comment

I would be happy to see a Duplicate finder type capability added to Beyond Compare (or as a separate product, based on BC code). Do not get me wrong, I am happy with Beyond Compare, it has been over the years the best investment in utility software I have ever made (especially when BC4 added Mac support, as I run on Windows, Linux, and macOS), the free (KDiff3, Meld, etc.) and paid alternatives really not even close on speed, options, functions, filters, and so forth. But sometimes, you have to run down where you have file duplicates, and I very much need something like BC with all its filter features, and so far at least, I have not been able to find anything. Duplicate Detective and Gemini 2 are probably the things that come closest (they run on a Mac), but they are in terms of scanning capability pretty slow and have problems with bigger drives and NAS. dupeGure is free and multiplatform, and has some of the basics right, but does not do file-id exclusions properly, and its compares are a lot cruder than BC has. Scooter already has a lot of the base functionality that would be needed, in that it runs and displays the directory structure and files, and does compares (and the CRC compare type would be a good means of identifying name changes), and has various filters. This is low hanging fruit for Scooter, in that you already have a lot of the code that would be needed.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Duplicate file scanning isn't quite as low hanging as it might appear, but is on our customer wishlist, which is where our developers go for ideas for new features and enhancements. I'll add your notes, and in the meantime appreciate your suggestions of other tools to help other users that might find this thread.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
          X