No announcement yet.

Script to expand the comparison and automatically save the differences report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script to expand the comparison and automatically save the differences report

I am running reports for very large comparisons that take days to run. My challenge is that the reports finish over the weekend or in the early am mornings. I need a way to expand the differences and then save the differences with its BCFiles. Just expanding to see the differences can take over 8 hours and saving the file can days. I wrote this script but I do not know if it works and better yet I do not know how to run it. I am new to BC4, scripting, and this forum. I apologize if this has already been asked and answered.

My questions are if it is possible to automate the expanding and saving the difference report when the comparison is complete? Secondly, if that is correct, will this script work below? If that answer is yes, then how do I run it? Can I only run it from a command prompt before I do a comparison?

expand all
    text-report layout:side-by-side &
    options:ignore-unimportant,display-mismatches &
    output-to:%3 output-options:html-color %1 %2

Hello,

It might help if we could get a full copy of your script.

I would also suggest working with a small sample test folder, so you can create a small test scenario that takes only a minute to complete. This way you can iterate and troubleshoot script in a reasonable amount of time.

The above script snippet with text-report isn't quite what you need. It would include the text data within the files of the selection, but there doesn't seem to be a selection (just an expand). If you expand, select, then text-report, you can generate a report with the text differences within the report (which, given how long it takes you to run the rest of your script, sounds prohibitively large). If you use folder-compare instead, this returns a report of the file names instead of the content.

This snippet isn't a full script; I assume it is a snippet of code you are adding to a full script?
    You can run script from the command line with:
    bcompare.exe "@c:\bcscript\script.txt"

for a full sample script, it would need to load folders first:
    load "c:\folder1" "c:\folder2"
    expand all
    folder-report layout:side-by-side output-to:"c:\bcscript\report.html" output-options:html-color
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
    X