Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generate serious of html report for failures based on text report

Hi,

I need to compare different folders where size of the folders will be >1 GB and some of the files size will be >100MB.As we compare old release files with new release files, some of the 100 MB files might have one new column which results in failure and generating huge html results file. Due to this business cannot open the html file to see difference and leading to some disappoint as they are non technical users.

My current solution:
    In this solution, it creates html summary report and clicking on each file open files with difference. As I said due to huge size, IE or chrome unable to open the files

criteria rules-based ignore-unimportant
    filter "-*.log,-*.bak;-backup"
    load "%1" "%2"
    expand all
    select all
    folder-report layout:side-by-side options:display-all,include-file-links output-to:"%3" output-options:html-color
    folder-report layout:side-by-side options:display-mismatches,include-file-links output-to:"%4" output-options:html-color

So planning solution to overcome this challenge. My plan it first generate summary text report and then based on file compare failures, generate html results file for only failed files. This way performance will be increased.

But unfortunately I am not able to figure out to generate series of html reports as my below solution is creating one html file for all the failures which I cannot open the results file due to size. Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

filter "-*.log;-*.bak;-backup"
    filter size:<1KB
    expand all
    select all
    folder-report layout:side-by-side options:display-all,include-file-links output-to:"c:\results\summary.txt"
    select diff.files
    text-report layout:side-by-side options:ignore-unimportant,display-mismatches,line-numbers output-to:"c:\results\failure.html" output-options:html-color

Hello,

The newer script is mostly good, except it is missing a load command to load folders. This would usually be right after filter, and right before the expand all command. This would generate two different reports (not linked), where the summary is a list of file names, and the text report would be all of the different text within all diff.files in the loaded folders.

The previous script with linked reports is probably also good, but are the linked reports currently configured to display All text or just different text? I would try generating a folder-report layout:side-by-side options:display-mismatches,include-file-links output-to:"%4" output-options:html-color
    but if the file links are currently showing all file content, you'll need to boot the graphical interface, launch a Text Compare, and swap the Display filter from Show All to Show Differences. Then close BC4 and relaunch the script.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

The newer script is mostly good, except it is missing a load command to load folders. This would usually be right after filter, and right before the expand all command. This would generate two different reports (not linked), where the summary is a list of file names, and the text report would be all of the different text within all diff.files in the loaded folders.
      Aaron, ask here is all failures are showing in single text report. Due the size of the file, we are not able to open it. Is there way to generate one file for one failure report.

"The previous script with linked reports is probably also good, but are the linked reports currently configured to display All text or just different text? I would try generating a folder-report layout:side-by-side options:display-mismatches,include-file-links output-to:"%4" output-options:html-color
      but if the file links are currently showing all file content, you'll need to boot the graphical interface, launch a Text Compare, and swap the Display filter from Show All to Show Differences. Then close BC4 and relaunch the script."
      Aaron, As said, due to new column in one file that is more then 100 MB, failed report is huge size and business unable to open it. And also in bcfile folder, it saves files with 0,1,2 etc instead of with file names. There is no straight forward way to know what the file "0" unless you open it.

I have seen when I ran both solutions on same files, text reports are accurate but folder report showing few of the matched values as failure for pdf comparison.

Unable to share screenshot it contains critical data.

Last edited by ravindra; 03-Dec-2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Sorry, not sure if I am following exactly what kind of data you want in the report. If the data itself is included and large, it can be larger than some browsers can render (even with high end hardware).

I would suggest testing in the graphical interface to try and find the report combination that works best for you. This would allow rapid iteration and testing.

It sounds like it is specifically the file report level that is the issue, so if you work with a single file pair, can you generate a report that can open? If so, can this configuration extend to the other file pairs? This would allow the linked file reports options to work from the Folder Compare. And, once this is working, we can then help with the script to perform the same steps.

If you have an extra column you don't want in the report, and you use the Table Compare's View menu -> Columns to remove it, then generate the Session menu -> Table Compare Report, does this help?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Sorry Aaron if I am not clear.

In my requirement, each folder contain 200+ files where some of file types will txt, xls, xml, excel, csv ,pdf,.dat. We have around 16 folders of these type which we need to validate for every deployment.

In below solution, two reports one txt report and another html report with link to all failures will be generated . This is working fine ad business using for last 3 months.

Challenge: In failures report, when user clicks on any failure file, it opens file in browser with the exact failures. But some of the files due to new column or other same change in each row, entire file mismatch and due to size of the file, browser crashes. Users who are running these comparison didn't know abt any changes(new column) in the file and they need to report changes to other team by opening each file. Because of the file sizes they have touch time to find exact failures.

Can you suggest any feasible solution?

filter "-*.log,-*.bak;-backup"
          load "%1" "%2"
          expand all
          select all
          folder-report layout:side-by-side options:display-all,include-file-links output-to:"c:\results\summary.txt" output-options:html-color
          folder-report layout:side-by-side options:display-mismatches,include-file-links output-to:"c:\results\failure.html"" output-options:html-color

Comment

If the file report generated is too large for the browser to render, then the report must be made smaller.

This can be updating the file report to not include the column, only show different rows, or any configuration change you can make to make it a smaller size, such as a Summary report. If I understand correctly, you can't simultaneously include the exact changes if the exact changes are too large to render in a browser (and you need to open and display in a browser). You could also generate a Text report and open in other programs which can open large files.

This is why I would suggest working in the Interface and finding one sample Pair to work with that generates a Too Large report. Then update the report options until you can find something suitable for your needs that is smaller sized. Once you find the combination in the interface, we can help with the scripting needed to automate it.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X