• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krone1122
    New User
    • Sep 2018

Issue running text compare with script file

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to automate a text compare using BC4. Through some internetting I basically have this command constructed. (PATHS REDACTED FOR SAFETY).

BCompare "C:\...\bcompareScript.txt" "C:\...\XMLFile1.xml" "C:\...\XMLFile2.xml" "C:\...\output.txt"

The commands in the script file are as follows:

file-report layout:side-by-side &
    options:display-mismatches &
    output-to:%3 %1 %2

When this is ran, it opens the script file in the left window, XMLFile1 in the middle, XMLFile2 in the right, and the output file on the bottom.

Why is it ignoring my script file and loading it as one of the files to compare? I am trying to essentially get it to open the two xml files, and auto generate a difference report to the output file without any user input. (This is all part of a larger process that I am automating.)

Can what I want be done?
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Place the @ character before the script filename. This makes Beyond Compare run a file as a script. Without the @ character, the script file is opened for interactive comparison.

BCompare "@C:\...\bcompareScript.txt" "C:\...\XMLFile1.xml" "C:\...\XMLFile2.xml" "C:\...\output.txt"
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• krone1122
      New User
      • Sep 2018

Its always the simple things and are the hardest to figure out. Thanks for the help Chris!!

Sidenote, is there a way to suppress the script window that pops up when the script gets ran? Im going for 0 user interaction with my program and would like it if the user did not have to close that window everytime.

thanks,
      Kyle

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Use the /silent command line argument to suppress the scripting window
        Last edited by Chris; 04-Sep-2018, 05:00 PM.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...