Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BUG: Can not handle international characters in FTP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BUG: Can not handle international characters in FTP

    I have tried to synchronize some files and folders with Danish letters against a FTP server. It fails. (this behavior is also seen with other mac apps).
    It does work, however, with BC3 on a Windows7 box.

    I have made a small video to illustrate the problem.

    http://www.sternberg.dk/bctest/ftp-w-int-letters.swf

  • #2
    For reference, can you give us a screenshot of Internet Explorer on Windows with the View->Encoding->More submenu open? A copy of the FTP log showing the initial login and connection would help too.

    Edit: Safari has a View->Text Encoding menu that has a similar list. It would be useful to see that one too.

    This isn't a bug exactly. Your FTP server and OS X are using different character encodings for filenames, so characters like ō are stored differently and get converted to ? somewhere. Windows uses the same encoding as the server, so there's no conversion. In BC you can normally change that setting in the FTP Profiles dialog to tell it what encoding to use, but the one that you probably need (code page 865) isn't available in the dropdown because we're using a shorter list that we copied from IE. I'm curious if they have a different list in different countries.
    Last edited by ZoŽ; 28-Jun-2013, 11:14 AM.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

    Comment


    • #3
      I have tried to make the screen shot but since this is a drop Down menu Alt-PrtScr "flips" the menu back and there will not be anything interesting in the screen shot. The same happens in Jing.

      So I took a photograph instead - looks awful, but I guess it is readable (I also had to "squeeze" the jpg to get it small enough for attachment...)

      Comment


      • #4
        Hmm. In that case, try opening the FTP Profiles dialog from the "Beyond Compare" menu, and on the first tab look for the "Encoding" dropdown and try changing it to "Western European (ISO)". You may need to restart BC to make the change take effect.
        ZoŽ P Scooter Software

        Comment


        • #5
          no go. Same thing happens as before.

          Comment


          • #6
            In that case, open the Preferences dialog and on the Advanced tab under "Log Panel", turn on "Debug messages", then connect to the site, upload one of the troublesome files, and then save the log (right click on the log panel) and send a copy to support@scootersoftware.com.
            ZoŽ P Scooter Software

            Comment


            • #7
              sent

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks. We received the log and will look into it.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

                Comment


                • #9
                  I can confirm that the problem with Danish characters is fixed in the new build (16447)

                  However a new problem has occurred. The time stamp on the FTP server is off by 1 hours and 59 minutes after copying a file to the sever. If I copy from the FTP server to the local host (mac) the time stamp is set correct on the copy (i.e the same).

                  A screen shot showing the upload problem is attached.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for the report. I think I've reproduced something similar.

                    In the future, would it be possible to get a separate forum thread for a new issue? This way, other users could find the thread if they are having the same issue.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      sure - will do.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This will be fixed in the next release. If you can you should upgrade your server's copy of Pure-FTPd.

                        The issue was that Pure-FTPd changed its behavior: it originally expected timestamps in the server's local timezone and that's what BC sends. In 2009 they changed it to expect them in UTC instead. I've added code to detect the version and switch automatically, but more recent releases (2011+) support a different, standardized command, which avoids the guesswork.
                        ZoŽ P Scooter Software

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Great - this will make online backup of files to a FTP server much easier.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            not fixed in 16628

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hello,

                              We'll need an updated email showing us the new login and initial directory listing with details enabled (Options, Advanced, "Log Panel" section, Debug messages and FTP Trace enabled). Then after the initial directory, please perform a copy of a file, then Touch that file.

                              A new screenshot or two with a wide Timestamp column (showing as much detail as possible, where we show more detail the wider the column is) would also be helpful.

                              Thanks. You can email us at support@scootersoftware.com. Please include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X