BC 4.4.1 does not open and just bounces in the dock on macOS 11.5.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC 4.4.1 does not open and just bounces in the dock on macOS 11.5.2

I don't know why it doesn't open anymore. I tried clearing out the `Beyond Compare` folder in `~/Library/Application Support`, but I still see the same behavior.

Hello,

BC 4.4.0 is the latest release. Can you re-download the latest setup.zip from our Download page?

Clearing the settings was also a good idea, and would have been something else I'd recommend trying.

Have you rebooted your system between these tests?

I'd suggest trying to delete the settings once more, delete and replace Beyond Compare.app with the new download, and a quick system reboot. Then try launching. Does this help?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for the prompt response. Apologies, I meant 4.4.0, not sure why I said .1. I sampled the process and saw that it was getting hung up on looking for printers. Similarly the macOS preference pane for printers was locking up. I'm not sure why BC would care about printers simply to open the app, but it did. Rebooting seemed to make the problem go away.

Comment

There's a really old, rare bug that we haven't been able to track down that is related to MacOS printers on startup. If this happens again and you let it sit for 5+ minutes, does it recover and open?

I'll also add your forum thread to our tracker on that issue; if you have any more information we'll append to it.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

It does not seem to recover, but I don't recall if I let it sit for 5 minutes. It's very possible that the printer daemon entered this state when I was using sshfs, which seems to cause more weirdness than usual on modern macOS versions.

Comment

Working...
          X