Folder compare: Ignore filenames that differ on a character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder compare: Ignore filenames that differ on a character

I am trying to sync up multiple music folders and their files. Some files use apostrophe in the filename and the comparable other file uses an underscore. For example,

"Can_t keep it in.m4a" vs "Can't keep it in.m4a"

I want these 2 files to be treated as equal based on the filename.

How can I change Beyond Compare to allow this?

BC4 Pro has a feature called Alignment Overrides in the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Misc tab. Setting up a rule for this specific change could be a little tricky, so I'd recommend testing with the trial (if you are on Std edition and want to test it out):
    https://www.scootersoftware.com/supp...?zz=kb_evalpro

The Alignment Override can define a mask for the left name, and can use tagged expressions (not a mask) for the right side. Or a DOS Mask

For this specific example, the simple mask would be:
    *_*
    with
    *'*
    but this would only align files with a single swap. You would need an additional defined Alignment Override rule for each number of potential _ with ' characters. You could also try to tackle this with a very complex RegEx, but if you only have maybe 6 _ at most per file name, 6 separate alignments would be way quicker to define and use:
    *_*_*
    with
    *'*'*
    etc
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I had already purchased the pro version license. Thank you for your help. That worked perfectly!
      Last edited by joken10; 20-Aug-2021, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X