Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron
    replied
    There's a Filter: toolbar text area that you could copy/paste the strings above into. One of them is for Folders that start with A to M (and root level items) and the the other is for folders Not A-M and Not root level items. As an example of cutting it in "half", assuming roughly equal distribution of folder names.

This also updates the Session Settings, Name Filters tab, and vice versa, though the syntax varies slightly between the toolbar textbox and the Name Filters tab.

You could also set specific subfolders as the base folder. For example, if you are comparing smb://NAS1/ to smb://NAS2/, instead go one level deeper:
    smb://NAS1/Pictures/ to smb://NAS2/Pictures/
    and just try the smaller set of data. This would be easier to read and review, should complete faster, and would also directly let us know if the overall size of the comparison is the issue you are running into, or if there's something else going on.

Leave a comment:

• te_ve
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron View Post
    How large are these drives?
    It is around 1TB.

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
    If you break up your task into sub sections (for testing iteration and quicker completion, and easier to review) does this help? This could be done either by setting subfolders as base folders as a lower level task, or using file name filters to limit the top level to specific subfolders, such as:
    [A-Ma-m]*\
    and
    -./*.*;[^A-Ma-m]*\
    How do I go about breaking up the task into sub sections? And where should I put the filter (sorry, not near my machine now, it might be as simple as clicking the filter button, I suppose?)

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Hello,

If performing a content comparison that requires scanning or opening the file, it does require downloading temporary copies of the files. The Folder Compare's Session Settings, Comparison tab, has a top half (Quick Tests) and bottom section (Requires opening files) to help differentiate between what is meta-data and what would require the download. Some columns (if enabling the CRC column) would similarly require the download.

These temp files are cleaned up after the scan for them is completed, but multiple threads are used, so it's possible to be downloading a queue of files to scan faster than the scan itself can run.

How large are these drives? If you break up your task into sub sections (for testing iteration and quicker completion, and easier to review) does this help? This could be done either by setting subfolders as base folders as a lower level task, or using file name filters to limit the top level to specific subfolders, such as:
    [A-Ma-m]*\
    and
    -./*.*;[^A-Ma-m]*\

Leave a comment:

• te_ve
    replied
    It turns out, I'm running out of disk space and it has crashed BC4.

Does BC4 make a file copy from the network drive to a local drive to do its comparison? is there any way to stop this from happening? OR potentially do a temporary copy and remove it once the comparison is done?

Leave a comment:

• te_ve
    started a topic BC4 on MacOS 10.13.6 - out of application memory

BC4 on MacOS 10.13.6 - out of application memory

Hi team,

I'm trialling BC4 on MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra).
    My macbook pro configurations:
    - Processor: i7 2.5GHz
    - Memory: 16GB
    - SSD: 512GB (free space: 45GB)

I ran the initial comparison against 2 x network folders (located on QNAP NAS).

For some reason, the network folders keep disconnected (most probably caused by the Mac sleep settings / external factors - and I'm yet to find out what could have caused this) and the interesting thing is, BC is no longer running and Mac shows "Your system has run out of application memory" error.

I checked activity monitor and I still have heaps memory left.

What do you think could have caused this? Happy to provide system spec that will help troubleshooting if required

Thanks in advance

Update: BC became not responding
    Last edited by te_ve; 27-Jul-2021, 09:50 PM.
Working...
X