Several problems with BC v4.3.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several problems with BC v4.3.3

Hi, after upgrading my mac to macOS Catalina I also had to upgrade BC from 4.2 -> 4.3.3. After that I discovered several issues especially with Mercurial integration.

1) Command line tool "bcomp" doesn't respond with correct exit code
    The tool always returns 0, so f.e. if I cancel merge (do not save the result), the bcomp exits with 0. This causes to Mercurial think that merge was successful and doesn't provide possibility to resolve files manually. This was not happening with BC 4.2, which always worked correctly.

2) Frequent freezes or crashes
    BC on Catalina 10.15.2 randomly freezes with beach ball or crashes. What is worse here is if the BC is launched via "bcomp" tool, after BC app crashed, bcomp didn't exit and process is running forever. In conjunction with Mercurial, merging doesn't stop even after the BC app crashed. You can reproduce this issue by running "bcomp" from Terminal and force quit BC application from dock (bcomp in Terminal will continue to run forever).

Have you tried reinstalling the command line tools? That fixed the exit code issue for me.

Comment

Originally posted by donatj View Post
      Have you tried reinstalling the command line tools? That fixed the exit code issue for me.
      Several times, but with no luck. Also tried to manually remove bcomp & bcompare tools and installing them again...

Comment

Hello,

Sorry for the delay. I've been investigating this issue.

I've reproduced the error code issue you've found, and bcomp, when called as a mergetool, is always returning 0. If you can override this by re-marking the files as unresolved in the VCS, that is the best workaround I can think of. I've made a bug report to get this investigated.

The general instability might be related, or it may be related to another issue we are trying to track down. In the meantime, if you use CMD-Q to fully quit BC4 after each diff or merge, instead of letting the process run, does this help with the stability?
        If you ever receive any stack traces, crash reports, or error logs, please send them in to support@scootersoftware.com along with a link to this forum thread as a reference to help us track this one down. I'm also going to try and get your reproducible case working for me, but initially it was not crashing when I was attempting it.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi, Aaron, may thanks for you response and workaround tip for #1.

Perhaps it would be better, if I divided #2 into two issues/parts:

2a) BC4 randomly freezes or crashes
          We'll do our best to gather as much information as possible and send it to you.

2b) Command line tool "bcomp" freezes after BC4 app crashes
          To reproduce this case it's very simple. Just start "bcomp" tool from Terminal, which starts BC4 app. In the dock, right click on the app icon with OPTION key pressed, and choose "Force Quit" (simulated crash of BC4). "bcomp" in Terminal will not exit, and will continue to run forever. I would expect that "bcomp" quits with some error exit code, so the integrated VCS (Mercurial in our case) can detect it, mark all files as unresolved and then we can repeat the last merge from beginning (this is especially needed for rebase operation where multiple merges and "bcomp" calls can occur).

Comment

Hello,

2a) Appreciated.

2b) Got it. I've reproduced this and will attach to the tracker entry to investigate along with the "always returns 0" issue.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I am experiencing the same "random" crash issue. I notice it the most when running a git mergetool with bcomp. The GUI just vanishes, and the bcomp binary keeps running until I hit ctrl-c in the terminal. There are no crash logs being generated in $USER/Library/Application\ Support/Beyond\ Compare/, and the only log information that I get from the console is the following:

Feb 21 09:33:55 bremen com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000007.BCompare[14597]): Service exited with abnormal code: 100

I am running Version 4.3.3 (build 24545), and Mac Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76).

I will try using the cmd-q vs. hitting escape to see if that makes the problem go away.

Also, I am launching bcomp using the following git config (git v2.25.0):

[mergetool "bc3"]
              path = /usr/local/bin/bcomp
              trustExitCode = true

Comment

In my initial testing, it seems that exiting with cmd-q prevents BC from dying when doing three-way code merges.

However, I notice that when I do `cmd-q` when I am diffing several files, BC will exit, but git will not see that the application exited. In this case, I am not seeing any errors in the system logs. I have to ctrl-c git and reset the diff again. It is very strange. It seems that hitting the escape key during the diff process seems to work, unlike the merge process.

If you have any additional way for me to get log info, I am more than happy get some logs. However, I am not seeing anything meaningful now.

Comment

Hello,

We have a potential fix in an upcoming BC 4.3.4 that should help with an errorcode issue. This might help with git detecting on close.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Beyond Compare 4.3.4 is now available on the download page, it should fix the exit code issue.
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      Beyond Compare 4.3.4 is now available on the download page, it should fix the exit code issue.
                      Many thanks, I can confirm, we have no more issues with exit code even after force quit/crash (issues #1 and #2b) :thumbsup:

Comment

Working...
                      X