No announcement yet.

Folder comparison doesn't compare excel file correctly.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Folder comparison doesn't compare excel file correctly.

    BC Version 4.3 (build 24364)
    macOS Catalina Version 10.15 (19A583)

    Folder Compare Session setting:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.png
Views:	237
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	81644
    Compare result:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.png
Views:	103
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	81645
    Obviously the two excel files don't match.

    If I compare the two excel files directly, I get:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture3.png
Views:	98
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	81646
    Last edited by thomasyoung; 09-Oct-2019, 10:17 PM.

  • #2
    Thanks for the report. I've reproduced this issue and opened a tracker entry to investigate. The issue is the conversion error reporting as equal. Do you have other Excel files (simple test files) that can open and show data in the file view? This should work generally.
    Aaron P Scooter Software


    • #3
      Click image for larger version

Name:	excel comparison.png
Views:	133
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	81702
      I got a weird result, as the attached shows. Actually the two files are identical.


      • #4
        Thanks. I haven't seen this specific failure (only one fails of equal files), but there are issues with the Conversion Error handling which is leading to this bad state. We'll look into it. In the meantime, if either side has a Conversion Failure, the overall result is incorrect.
        Aaron P Scooter Software


        • #5
          The conversion error bug is fixed in Beyond Compare 4.3.1, now available on the download page.
          Chris K Scooter Software


          • #6
            I am now using BC4.3.2 (build 24472) and I have the file conversion error with Excel files. So I can't agree with the previous post.
            At present, I am trying to compare two .xlsm files; my operating system is Windows 10 version 1903, but the same happens on my Windows 8.1 machine using BC4.2.8. In case it is important, the longest path has 78 characters.
            In fact I have had this error for a few years now with both xlsx and xlsm files.
            Hoping that there is a fix..


            • #7

              This thread is specific to a MacOS bug. The Windows version of Excel conversion is currently working with no known issues. I would suggest emailing into with a copy of your from the Help menu -> Support menu, Export and a pair of sample files, and a full screen screenshot of the error, and we can recreate your conversion process with your settings and see what you might be running into. If emailed, please include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.

              For a quick troubleshoot, I'd suggest trying to revert to factory defaults for the Excel conversion, using the Tools menu -> Restore Factory Defaults dialog, select just File Formats, and MS Excel Workbooks (purple table icon). Also, in the Tools menu -> File Formats, verify that this table format (purple icon) is the topmost in the list and is the format used automatically when working with your files.
              Aaron P Scooter Software