BC hangs when switching views in a text comparison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC hangs when switching views in a text comparison

I'm using the latest version of Beyond Compare (4.2.10) on macOS Mojave (10.14.2).

When comparing two large text files (over 100,000 lines long), Beyond Compare hangs when switching between Show All, or Show Differences, or Show Context.

It'll hang for about 30 seconds. The cursor still blinks but there is no response to any commands. If I scroll up or down, or select any menus, it'll "catch up" afterwards.

I don't have this issue on Windows and regularly switch between context/no context when comparing large text files.

Is this a known issue or is there something I can try on the Mac to prevent this?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Thanks for the report. My first hunch is this may be related to the current file format/grammars you are using, and how often they are present in a file pair. Which format are you currently using? Would it be possible to email us at support@scootersoftware.com with:
    1) a link back to this forum thread for our reference
    2) a pair of sample files
    3) your BCSupport.zip from the Beyond Compare menu -> Support dialog; Export.

I'm running through a few test cases here with large files, but I haven't yet reproduced the 30 seconds of hang.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for quick reply, Aaron.

I did also wonder about formats/grammars so I set it to Everything Else with no grammars and the issue still occurred. I also tried renaming the files to .txt.

Unfortunately, due to the sensitive content of the files, I can't send you them.

It does seem that the more differences there are, the longer the hang.
      Last edited by danieljt; 04-Jun-2019, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Hello,

We just released a technical test of our BC 4.3 64bit build for macOS. It is still early and there are known bugs, but it would be good to test its performance with a clone/copy of your data. If you extract and run the beta, but when prompted you can leave it on your desktop instead of copying into applications (or rename the .app to BC43Beta.app), you can test the beta without overwriting/upgrading the original install. There is more information, including a known issues list, here:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=beta43
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks, Aaron. I no longer get the hanging with the beta

I'll see how I get on as I use it more.

Dan

Comment

Working...
          X